How can the exact result of the summation with a+nb be calculated?

• Thread starter arpon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, summation is the process of adding up a sequence of numbers and is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and physics. It is represented by the symbol Σ (sigma) and is calculated by adding the numbers in a sequence together. Summation is different from factorial, which is used to multiply a sequence of numbers and is represented by the symbol ! (exclamation mark). Summation cannot be used for infinite sequences and other mathematical methods should be used for those cases.
arpon

Homework Statement

$$ \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{1+(a+nb)^2} = ? $$

2. The attempt at a solution
I approximated the result by integration,

$$
\begin{align}
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(a+nb)^2} &\approx \lim_{N \rightarrow +\infty} {\int_{0}^N \frac{1}{1+(a+bx)^2} dx}\\
&= \lim_{N \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac{tan^{-1} (a + Nb)}{b}} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a)}{b}\\
&= \frac{\pi}{2b} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a)}{b}
\end{align}
$$
Using this integration method, I further proved,
$$\frac{\pi}{2b} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a+b)}{b}< \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(a+nb)^2} < \frac{\pi}{2b} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a)}{b}$$

But, how can I calculate the exact result?

I faced this problem when solving a physics problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are trying to use a theorem that you probably should have mentioned in the relevant equations. It may have been helpful for you to list it.

For anyone who might be interested in what the theorem says, suppose ##a_n = f(n)## where the graph of ##f(x)## is positive on ##[1, \infty)##. Suppose further ##f(x)## is decreasing and concave up, and the improper integral:

$$\int_1^{\infty} f(x) dx$$

converges. Then:

$$S_n + \int_{n+1}^{\infty} f(x) \space dx + \frac{a_{n+1}}{2} < S < S_n + \int_{n}^{\infty} f(x) \space dx - \frac{a_{n+1}}{2}$$

Where ##S## is the sum of the series, and ##S_n## is a partial sum of the series.

The bound you obtain on the sum is relatively tight. A better approximation of ##S## might be to take the two results and average them.

Now, the value of ##n## you choose to use is important. If you want a small amount of error in your estimate, try choosing ##n## such that:

$$\int_{n}^{\infty} f(x) \space dx - \frac{a_{n+1}}{2} - \left[ \int_{n+1}^{\infty} f(x) \space dx + \frac{a_{n+1}}{2} \right] < 0.00001$$

Where the quantity on the left hand side of the inequality is the width of the interval. This will give you an estimate of the form ##p < S < q## where you can say with a good deal of certainty ##S ≈ \frac{p + q}{2}##.

Likes arpon
arpon said:

Homework Statement

$$
\begin{align}
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(a+nb)^2} &\approx \lim_{N \rightarrow +\infty} {\int_{0}^N \frac{1}{1+(a+bx)^2} dx}\\
&= \lim_{N \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac{tan^{-1} (a + Nb)}{b}} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a)}{b}\\
\end{align}
$$
$$\frac{\pi}{2b} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a+b)}{b}< \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(a+nb)^2} < \frac{\pi}{2b} - \frac{tan^{-1} (a)}{b}$$

I doubt that the summation has a nice closed-form in terms of elementary functions, but it is expressible in terms of the non-elementary "di-Gamma" function. Maple gets
[tex] \text{answer} = \frac{i}{2b} \left( \Psi \left( 1 + \frac{a-i}{b} \right) - \Psi \left( 1 + \frac{a+i}{b} \right) \right), [/tex]
where ##\Psi## is the so-called di-Gamma function, defined as
[tex] \Psi(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \ln (\Gamma (x)) = \frac{1}{\Gamma (x)} \cdot \frac{d}{dx} \Gamma (x) [/tex]
and ## i = \sqrt{-1}##. Despite its complex appearance, the result is real if ##a,b## are real. Here is a Maple plot for ##0 \leq a \leq 1## and ##0 \leq b \leq 10##. (I accidentally made the plot with different upper bounds on ##a## and ##b##; I had intended to go from 0 to 1 for both. However, once I had uploaded the unintended plot the PF editor would not let me delete it and replace it by the correct one, without deleting the entire post. Anyway, the plot with ##0 \leq b \leq 1## does not look much different from the one attached.)

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-10_9-29-24.png
    upload_2015-9-10_9-29-24.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Likes arpon
arpon said:

Homework Statement

$$
\begin{align}
\end{align}
$$

You can use the Euler-Maclaurin sum formula to get more accurate estimates of ##\sum_{n=1}^N 1/[1+(a + bn)^2]## for finite, large ##N##. See, eg.,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Maclaurin_formula or
http://people.csail.mit.edu/kuat/courses/euler-maclaurin.pdf (for infinite sum, too).

Some of these approximations may be much better than the one you used above. In any case, they allow you to bound the error in that approximation.

Likes arpon

Related to How can the exact result of the summation with a+nb be calculated?

What is summation and why is it used?

Summation is the process of adding up a sequence of numbers. It is used in various fields, including mathematics, statistics, and physics, to find the total value of a set of data or to solve equations.

What symbols are used to represent summation?

The symbol Σ (sigma) is commonly used to represent summation. The numbers to be added are written below the sigma symbol, and the starting and ending values of the sequence are written above and below the sigma symbol, respectively.

How is summation calculated?

To calculate summation, the numbers in the sequence are added together starting from the first number and ending with the last number. If the sequence has a pattern, a formula can be used to calculate the summation.

What is the difference between summation and factorial?

Summation and factorial are both mathematical operations involving adding up numbers, but they have different definitions and symbols. Summation is used to add a sequence of numbers, while factorial is used to multiply a sequence of numbers. The symbol for factorial is ! (exclamation mark) and it is written after the number.

Can summation be used for infinite sequences?

No, summation cannot be used for infinite sequences because it involves adding up a finite set of numbers. For infinite sequences, other mathematical methods such as limits or integrals should be used to find the total value.