How Can Induction Be Used to Prove Paths in Graphs with Odd Degree Vertices?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a graph with exactly 2k vertices of odd degree has k edge-disjoint paths connecting different pairs of vertices of odd degree. The approach to prove this involves using induction on k and strengthening the induction hypothesis. The base case involves using a previously proven theorem. The inductive step involves adding an edge between two odd vertices, leading to a graph with 2k odd vertices, and using the induction hypothesis to show the existence of k edge-disjoint paths. The challenge is in removing an edge without destroying any of the paths, as it is not certain that the edge is not a part of one of the paths.
mss2718
prove : Let G be a graph that has exactly 2k vertices of odd degree. Show that
there are k edge-disjoint paths each of which joins a different pair of ver-
tices of odd degree.

I have to prove this with induction on k. There is a hint that I need to strenghten my induction hypothosis but I do not know what to strengthen it to. This is what i have tried so far:

Base: with 2 vertices of odd degree, we can use a theorem already proved, that states that an eularien path exists if a graph has 2 vertcies of odd degree.

Inductive step: Let G be a graph with 2(k+1) odd vertices, if we add an edge between any 2 of the odd vertices they become even and we get a graph with (2k) odd vertices. I can use my IH to conclude that this graph has k edge-disjoint paths...

The problem is that when I take away this edge i have no way of saying conclusivly that I did not destroy one of those paths beccause I am taking away an edge not adding one in. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help

Related to How Can Induction Be Used to Prove Paths in Graphs with Odd Degree Vertices?

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects.

2. What is a proof in graph theory?

A proof in graph theory is a logical argument that uses mathematical principles and reasoning to demonstrate that a statement or theorem is true. In other words, it is a way to show that a particular result in graph theory is valid and can be relied upon.

3. How do I approach proving a graph theory problem?

When approaching a graph theory problem, it is important to first understand the problem and its requirements. Then, you can start by examining the given information and using the definitions and theorems of graph theory to form a logical argument that leads to the desired result.

4. What are some common techniques used in graph theory proofs?

Some common techniques used in graph theory proofs include induction, contradiction, and reducing the problem to a simpler case. Other techniques may depend on the specific problem and may involve using properties of graphs, such as connectivity or planarity, to reach a solution.

5. What are some resources for learning how to prove problems in graph theory?

There are many resources available for learning how to prove problems in graph theory. These include textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can also be helpful in developing your skills in graph theory proofs.