Graph Theory Proof: Prove All Vertices of Kn Have deg(v)=(n-1)

In summary, this student is trying to prove that all vertices of a complete graph have a degree of (n-1). He is using the degree sum formula and the edge formula for a complete graph to get his result. However, he may not have explained the reasoning behind his methods very well.
Charles Stark

Homework Statement

Prove that all vertices of a complete graph Kn have deg(v) = (n-1)

Homework Equations

∑ deg(v) = 2|E|

|E| = ½(n)(n-1) for Kn

The Attempt at a Solution

I may have over thought this but this was my initial path at a formal proof.

Using the degree sum formula above and the formula for |E| for Kn,

∑ deg(v) = 2|E| = n(n-1)

Kn has n vertices so,

deg(v1) + deg(v2) + . . . . + deg(vn) (1/n) = (n-1)

∴ Each vertex , v, has degree (n-1)EDIT: The degree sum formula was mistakenly labeled as the Handshaking lemma.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting approach... it feels like you are using more advanced results to try to prove a simpler result, though - and that simpler result was perhaps used to prove the more complex results.

"A complete graph is a simple undirected graph in which every pair of distinct vertices is connected by a unique edge"
... that should be enough foundation to build your proof on.

Charles Stark said:

Homework Statement

Prove that all vertices of a complete graph Kn have deg(v) = (n-1)

Homework Equations

∑ deg(v) = 2|E|

|E| = ½(n)(n-1) for Kn

The Attempt at a Solution

I may have over thought this but this was my initial path at a formal proof.

Using the degree sum formula above and the formula for |E| for Kn,

∑ deg(v) = 2|E| = n(n-1)

Kn has n vertices so,

deg(v1) + deg(v2) + . . . . + deg(vn) (1/n) = (n-1)
The above is incorrect. The 1/n factor is multiplying only the last term, deg(vn. I imagine that you meant this:
[deg(v1) + deg(v2) + . . . . + deg(vn)] (1/n) = (n-1)

In any case, what's your justification for dividing by n? It seems to me that this gives you the average number of vertex degrees.
Charles Stark said:
∴ Each vertex , v, has degree (n-1)EDIT: The degree sum formula was mistakenly labeled as the Handshaking lemma.
In a complete graph with n vertices, each vertex must be connected to each other vertex. Thus, each vertex is connected to n - 1 vertices, so for each vertex v, deg(v) = n - 1. I'm not sure if you need to go into any more detail than this.

Mark44 said:
In a complete graph with n vertices, each vertex must be connected to each other vertex. Thus, each vertex is connected to n - 1 vertices, so for each vertex v, deg(v) = n - 1. I'm not sure if you need to go into any more detail than this.

Ah ha! I just saw the degree sum formula and the edge formula for a complete graph and tried connecting the two to get the result I needed. I should have just went back to the definition of a complete graph. Derp!

Related to Graph Theory Proof: Prove All Vertices of Kn Have deg(v)=(n-1)

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relationships between objects.

2. What is a vertex in a graph?

A vertex, also known as a node, is a point in a graph that represents an object or concept. In the context of Kn, the vertices represent individual points or objects in a complete graph with n vertices.

3. What does deg(v) mean in the proof?

In graph theory, deg(v) refers to the degree of a vertex v, which is the number of edges incident to that vertex. In the context of the proof, deg(v) represents the number of edges connected to each vertex in a complete graph with n vertices.

4. How does the proof show that all vertices in Kn have deg(v)=(n-1)?

The proof uses the fact that in a complete graph with n vertices, each vertex is connected to every other vertex by an edge. This means that each vertex has a degree of n-1, since it is connected to n-1 other vertices. Therefore, all vertices in Kn have deg(v)=(n-1).

5. What are some applications of graph theory?

Graph theory has many applications in real-world problems, such as computer networking, transportation systems, social networks, and circuit design. It is also used in various fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and physics, to model and analyze complex systems.