How can I solve this without using Reduction Formula?

In summary, to solve the given integral, we can use the reduction formula by expressing the integrand in terms of sine and cosine and applying integration by parts repeatedly. This will lead to a simple and efficient solution.
Dj Pedobear

Homework Statement

integral of cot^2 x / csc^8 x dx

Homework Equations

u = cot x
du = csc^2 x du

The Attempt at a Solution

if I use reduction formula I could answer this but it's going to be very very LONG SOLUTION

I just need some basic integral work.

Physics news on Phys.org
First convert the expression to only sin and cos and then think of proper substitution. If youdo not wish to use reduction formula you need to juggle up the expressions and remove powers to get expression in terms of multiple angles.

Let'sthink said:
First convert the expression to only sin and cos and then think of proper substitution. If youdo not wish to use reduction formula you need to juggle up the expressions and remove powers to get expression in terms of multiple angles.
Dj Pedobear said:

Homework Statement

integral of cot^2 x / csc^8 x dx

Homework Equations

u = cot x
du = csc^2 x du

The Attempt at a Solution

if I use reduction formula I could answer this but it's going to be very very LONG SOLUTION

I just need some basic integral work.

Write the integrand as ##f(x) = \cos^2(x) \sin^6 (x)##. Use ##\cos^2(x) = 1 -\sin^2(x)## to get your integral ##F = \int f(x) \, dx## in the form ##F = I_6-I_8##, where ##I_n = \int \sin^n(x) \, dx##.

Apply integration by parts to ##I_n##, using ##u = \sin^{n-1}(x)## and ##dv = \sin(x) \, dx##. This gives
[tex] I_n = -\cos(x) \sin^{n-1}(x) + (n-1) \int \cos^2(x) \sin^{n-2}(x) \, dx = -\cos(x) \sin^{n-1}(x) + (n-1) [I_{n-2} - I_n] [/tex]
This is an equation connecting ##I_n## to ##I_{n-2}##, so you can solve it to express ##I_n## in terms of ##\sin(x), \cos(x)## and ##I_{n-2}##. Finally, you can express ##I_8## in terms of ##I_6##, then ##I_6## in terms of ##I_4##, etc. The answer you want will drop out pretty quickly and easily.

thx :D

Related to How can I solve this without using Reduction Formula?

1. How does the reduction formula work?

The reduction formula is a mathematical technique used to reduce a complex problem into a simpler form. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller parts and using known solutions to solve the larger problem.

2. Can I solve every problem without using the reduction formula?

Yes, it is possible to solve problems without using the reduction formula. However, the reduction formula is a useful tool in solving certain types of problems, particularly those involving integration and differentiation.

3. Why should I avoid using the reduction formula?

The reduction formula can be time-consuming and may not always result in a simpler solution. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other mathematical techniques or approaches to solve a problem.

4. Are there any specific scenarios where the reduction formula is most useful?

The reduction formula is most commonly used in solving integrals, series, and recurrence relations. It is also helpful in solving problems involving sequences, limits, and differentiation.

5. Is there an alternative to using the reduction formula?

Yes, there are alternative methods to solving problems without using the reduction formula. These include substitution, integration by parts, and other techniques specific to the type of problem being solved.