How can I solve Latent Heat Problems with detailed explanations?

In summary, the conversation is about two physics problems related to latent heat. The first question involves finding the mass of an ice cube that is placed in a calorimeter with water at different temperatures. The second question asks for the amount of energy used by a cyclist during a race, assuming all of their energy goes into evaporating water as sweat. The person is seeking detailed help and is unsure of where to start.
geah
Latent Heat Problems ! Help

I have 2 questions that I need help on. All help will be very appreciated.

1. A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -8.5 C and placed in a 95grams aluminum calorimeter filled with 310g of water at toom temperature of 20 C. The final situation is observed to be all water at 17 C. What was the mass of the ice cube?

2. In a hot day's race a bicyclst consumes 8.0L of water over the span of four hourse. Making the approximation that all of the cyclist's energy goes into evaporating this water as sweat, how much energy in kcal did the rider use during the ride? (Since the efficiency of the rider is only about 20%, most of the energy consumed does go to heat so our apporximation is not far off.)

The help is greatly appreciated thanks. If it is at all possible to give a lot of detail that would be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Give em a shot. Do you know where to start?

I don't know where to start

Related to How can I solve Latent Heat Problems with detailed explanations?

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas, without changing its temperature.

2. What are some common examples of latent heat in everyday life?

Some common examples of latent heat include melting ice, boiling water, and evaporation of sweat. In all of these cases, energy is absorbed by the substance to change its state without a change in temperature.

3. How is latent heat related to phase changes?

Latent heat is closely related to phase changes because it is the energy required to break the bonds holding the molecules in a particular phase together. When these bonds are broken, the substance can change to a different phase.

4. How is latent heat calculated?

The amount of latent heat required to change the phase of a substance can be calculated using the formula Q = mL, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, and L is the specific latent heat for the particular phase change.

5. How do latent heat problems help us understand the behavior of matter?

Studying latent heat problems helps us understand the behavior of matter because it allows us to observe how energy affects the physical properties and states of different substances. This knowledge is essential in many fields of science, such as thermodynamics, meteorology, and materials science.