What Are the Roots of the Equation ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35=0##?

In summary, complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component, usually expressed in the form a + bi. The factors of a complex number are any numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original complex number. To find the factors, you can use the distributive property and factor out the common factor. The difference between a real factor and an imaginary factor is that a real factor only contains a real part while an imaginary factor only contains an imaginary part. Complex numbers are important in science because they allow us to represent and solve problems involving both real and imaginary quantities, commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
The following equation ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35=0## has a root with the real component = 1. What are the other solutions?

The attempt
This means that solutions are ##z = 1 \pm bi##and the factors are ##(z-(1-bi))(z-(1+bi)) ## and thus ## (z-(1-bi))(z-(1+bi)) = z^2-z(1+bi)-z(1-bi)+(1-bi)(1+bi) = \\ = z^2 -z -zbi -z +zbi + 2 = z^2-2z+2 ##.

I tried to divide ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35## with ## z^2-2z+2## but I get the quotient ##z^2 + 10## and rest ##6z + 15##

I have also tried to solve ##z^2-2z+2 = 0## and got ## z=1 \pm i ##, thus ## b = \pm 1 ##. But that is wrong according to key in my book.

Please help :,(

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The problem
The following equation ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35=0## has a root with the real component = 1. What are the other solutions?

The attempt
This means that solutions are ##z = 1 \pm bi##and the factors are ##(z-(1-bi))(z-(1+bi)) ## and thus ## (z-(1-bi))(z-(1+bi)) = z^2-z(1+bi)-z(1-bi)+(1-bi)(1+bi) = \\ = z^2 -z -zbi -z +zbi + 2 = z^2-2z+2 ##.

I tried to divide ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35## with ## z^2-2z+2## but I get the quotient ##z^2 + 10## and rest ##6z + 15##

I have also tried to solve ##z^2-2z+2 = 0## and got ## z=1 \pm i ##, thus ## b = \pm 1 ##. But that is wrong according to key in my book.

Substitute ##z = 1+i b## into the original equation. You will get a complex 4th degree polyomial in the new variable ##b##. Equating its real and imaginary parts to zero (assuming ##b## is real) you get two equations for ##b##, and one of them is easy to solve.

Rectifier said:
The problem

The attempt
Your mistake is above. (1 + bi)(1 - bi) ≠ 2.
Rectifier said:

Rectifier said:
The problem

The attempt

This is wrong. Try again.

Rectifier said:

Your method will work if you divide by the correct product of (z-1+bi)(z-1-bi). It must contain b!

It may help to rewrite (z−1+bi)(z−1−bi) as:
##\displaystyle \left((z-1)+bi \right)\left((z-1)-bi \right)\,, ##​
which is a sum times a difference, thus the difference of squares .

Related to What Are the Roots of the Equation ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35=0##?

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are usually expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What are the factors of a complex number?

The factors of a complex number are any numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original complex number. For example, the factors of 6 + 8i are 2 + 2i and 3 + 4i.

How do you find the factors of a complex number?

To find the factors of a complex number, you can use the distributive property and factor out the common factor. For example, to find the factors of 6 + 8i, you can factor out 2 and get 2(3 + 4i).

What is the difference between a real factor and an imaginary factor?

A real factor is a number that only contains a real part, while an imaginary factor is a number that only contains an imaginary part. For example, 2 is a real factor of 6 + 8i, while 4i is an imaginary factor.

Why are complex numbers important in science?

Complex numbers are important in science because they allow us to represent and solve problems that involve both real and imaginary quantities. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and understand complex systems.