Complex numbers: Solve ##Z^2\bar{Z}=8i##

In summary: Ahh, but fresh said this long ago, in post #2.Yes, ##x=0##. So if ##a(a^2+b^2)=0## we must have either ##a=0## or ##a^2+b^2=0##. But squares of real numbers ##a,b## are never negative, so their sum isn't either. And there is only one way that ##a^2+b^2=0## can hold. Now does such a solution work for ##z^2\bar{z}=(a+ib)^2(a-ib)=\ldots = 8i ##?In summary, fresh
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Solve ##Z^2\bar{Z}=8i##
Relevant Equations
Complex numbers
Solve ##Z^2\bar{Z}=8i##

i am confused on how to proceed

i have tried to substitute ##z=a+ib## solve the conjugate and the square, then separate the real from the imaginary and put all in a system, but becomes too complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
You could multiply it as ##(z\cdot \bar{z})\cdot z.## But you can also guess the solution.

Likes FactChecker
##a^3+ia^2b+b^2a+ib^3=8i##
\begin{cases}
a^3+b^2a=0 \\
ia^2b+ib^3=8i
\end{cases}

It is easier if you write ##a^3+b^2a=a\cdot (a^2+b^2)=0##, and ##a^2+b^2## cannot be zero.

fresh_42 said:
It is easier if you write ##a^3+b^2a=a\cdot (a^2+b^2)=0##, and ##a^2+b^2## cannot be zero.
mmm ok so? sorry I'm not picking :oldconfused:

DottZakapa said:
mmm ok so? sorry I'm not picking :oldconfused:
You have a product which multiplies to zero, so what does that mean for the factors?

no solution?

Another way is to expand ##(x+iy)^3## in a binomial expansion and compare real and imaginary parts in the equation.

DottZakapa said:
no solution?
a and b are 0

DottZakapa said:
a and b are 0
No
fresh_42 said:
if you write ##a^3+b^2a=a\cdot (a^2+b^2)=0##, and ##a^2+b^2## cannot be zero.
fresh_42 said:
You have a product which multiplies to zero, so what does that mean for the factors?
DottZakapa said:
no solution?
No. To simplify what fresh_42 said, if ##a\cdot b = 0##, and b cannot be zero, what can you say about a?

at the moment nothing comes up on my mind sorry, completely blank

DottZakapa said:
at the moment nothing comes up on my mind sorry, completely blank
To get ##2\cdot x=0## you must have? And then, why is ##a^2+b^2 \neq 0##?

x must be 0
fresh_42 said:
To get ##2\cdot x=0## you must have?
x is equal to 0
fresh_42 said:
And then, why is ##a^2+b^2 \neq 0##?
this i can't answer

DottZakapa said:
x must be 0

x is equal to 0

this i can't answer
Yes, ##x=0##. So if ##a(a^2+b^2)=0## we must have either ##a=0## or ##a^2+b^2=0##. But squares of real numbers ##a,b## are never negative, so their sum isn't either. And there is only one way that ##a^2+b^2=0## can hold. Now does such a solution work for ##z^2\bar{z}=(a+ib)^2(a-ib)=\ldots = 8i ##?

Have you learned the polar form Ae and how to multiply and conjugation with it? It's easier to see that way.

BTW, if this isn't familiar to you yet, then ignore it. You can solve it either way.

Likes FactChecker
fresh_42 said:
Yes, ##x=0##. So if ##a(a^2+b^2)=0## we must have either ##a=0## or ##a^2+b^2=0##. But squares of real numbers ##a,b## are never negative, so their sum isn't either. And there is only one way that ##a^2+b^2=0## can hold. Now does such a solution work for ##z^2\bar{z}=(a+ib)^2(a-ib)=\ldots = 8i ##?
so al so b is equal to 0

DottZakapa said:
so al so b is equal to 0
Yes, from ##a^2+b^2=0## we get ##a=b=0##. But then ##z=0## and this cannot be. Now that ##a^2+b^2\neq 0##, what do we get for ##a##?

fresh_42 said:
Yes, from ##a^2+b^2=0## we get ##a=b=0##. But then ##z=0## and this cannot be. Now that ##a^2+b^2\neq 0##, what do we get for ##a##?
:cry: i don't know, sorry

We have ##a\cdot (a^2+b^2)=0## and ##a^2+b^2\neq 0.## That is the same as ##x\cdot 2= 0##. Just as if ##a^2+b^2## was ##2## and ##a## was ##x##. It isn't, but it is the same situation.

• Wow
Likes bagasme
fresh_42 said:
We have ##a\cdot (a^2+b^2)=0## and ##a^2+b^2\neq 0.## That is the same as ##x\cdot 2= 0##. Just as if ##a^2+b^2## was ##2## and ##a## was ##x##. It isn't, but it is the same situation.
a is 0

:ok:Yes. And now put ##a=0## into the second equation which we have:
DottZakapa said:
\begin{cases}
ia^2b+ib^3=8i
\end{cases}

fresh_42 said:
:ok:Yes. And now put ##a=0## into the second equation which we have:
b= -2i?

DottZakapa said:
b= -2i?
No. You have written ##ib^3=8i## Now we divide both sides by ## i ## and have ##b^3 = 8.## No minus sign around. And ##b## is real! We set ##z=a+ib=0+ib=ib## and only need ##b##.

fresh_42 said:
No. You have written ##ib^3=8i## Now we divide both sides by ## i ## and have ##b^3 = 8.## No minus sign around. And ##b## is real! We set ##z=a+ib=0+ib=ib## and only need ##b##.
yes sorry, was late for me and my brain very tired 😅 .##b=2## and ##Z=0+i2## therefore ##Z=2i##

Likes DaveE and fresh_42
since z.zbar = |z|^2, the answer is a real scalar, namely |z|^2, times z, and from the form of the answer, 8i, z is obviously 2i.

Ahh, but fresh said this long ago, in post #2.

fresh_42 said:
##a^2+b^2\neq 0## isn't this assuming that ##a## and ##b## are purely real which isn't implied in the question?

Elbraido said:
##a^2+b^2\neq 0## isn't this assuming that ##a## and ##b## are purely real which isn't implied in the question?
##a,b## are real, since ##z## is written as ##z=a+ib## before the calculation started:
DottZakapa said:
I have tried to substitute ##z=a+ib## solve the conjugate and the square, then separate the real from the imaginary and put all in a system, but becomes too complicated.
Now if ##a=b=0## then ##z=0## which doesn't solve the equation ##z^2\bar{z}=8i .##

[tex](Z/2)^2\ \overline{Z/2}=i[/tex]
So we know |Z/2|=1 so
[tex]Z/2=i[/tex]

Likes Delta2
after reading many of your comments, maybe the easiest way to begin, without being too clever, is to take absolute value of both sides, getting |Z|^3 = 8, so |Z|=2. Then Z^2.Zbar = Z.|Z|^2 = 8i, gives the answer quickly. This is of course the idea behind the previous post's solution as well, but maybe less clever. I.e. as a general rule, taking absolute values may simplify a complex number situation, and give useful partial information.

Polar coordinates make this very simple. Let ##z = re^{i\theta}##. Then ##z^2 \overline{z} = (r^2 e^{i2\theta})(re^{-i\theta}) = r^3 e^{i\theta} = 8i##, from which it's obvious what ##r## and ##\theta## must be.

Likes mathwonk

Related to Complex numbers: Solve ##Z^2\bar{Z}=8i##

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are written in the form a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you solve for complex numbers?

To solve for complex numbers, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula. In this case, you can also use the conjugate of the complex number to simplify the equation.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a+bi is a-bi. It is essentially the same number with the sign of the imaginary part flipped. When multiplied together, the conjugate of a complex number and the original complex number result in a real number.

4. How do you solve the equation ##Z^2\bar{Z}=8i##?

To solve this equation, you can first rewrite it as a quadratic equation in terms of Z. Then, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation to find the solutions for Z. You can also use the conjugate of Z to simplify the equation and solve for Z.

5. What are the solutions to ##Z^2\bar{Z}=8i##?

The solutions to this equation are complex numbers. There are typically two solutions for a quadratic equation, but in this case, there may be four solutions due to the presence of the conjugate. The solutions can be found by using algebraic methods or by graphing the equation on the complex plane.