How can I show that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave

• Thread starter 2RIP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concave
In summary, to show that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave upward on an interval where g is positive and concave upward, we can use differentiation to prove that h''(x) is always greater than 0. This means that h is indeed concave upward, fulfilling the requirement. It is important to always keep in mind what needs to be shown in order to avoid getting stuck on a problem.
2RIP
Homework Statement
How can I show that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave upward on an interval if we know that g is positive and is concave upward on the same interval?

The attempt at a solution
I know that that g''(x)>0 since it concaves up. But after this step, I'm lost on proving this question. Any suggestions on how I should approach this question??

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
well you want to show that h''(x) > 0 right? so the obvious thing to do should be to differentiate.

so h'(x) = 2g(x)g'(x)
now let's do it again

h''(x) = 2g'(x)g'(x) + 2g(x)g''(x) = 2(g'(x))^2 + 2g(x)g''(x) > 0, wait this means h is concave up, so we're done.

when you work on a problem, think about what it is you must show, otherwise you will stare at it forever.

Related to How can I show that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave

1. How do I prove that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave?

To prove that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave, you can use the second derivative test. Take the second derivative of h(x) and if it is always negative, then h(x) is concave.

2. What is the definition of a concave function?

A concave function is a function whose graph is always "curved downwards." In other words, the second derivative of the function is always negative.

3. Can I use the first derivative test to show that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave?

No, the first derivative test can only be used to determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, not if it is concave or convex.

4. Is it possible for h(x)=[g(x)]^2 to be both concave and convex?

No, a function cannot be both concave and convex at the same time. It can only be one or the other.

5. Are there any other methods for proving that h(x)=[g(x)]^2 is concave?

Yes, you can also use the definition of concavity, which states that a function is concave if and only if the line connecting any two points on the graph of the function lies above or on the graph. Additionally, you can also use the concept of Jensen's inequality to prove concavity.