Determining where the function is concave up? (Given an integral)

In summary, the function f(x)=∫√(1+t^2) dt is concave upward on the intervals (-∞, 0) and (0, ∞). The critical point is 0, where the second derivative might change sign, so the signs on either side need to be checked to determine the concavity.
JessicaJ283782

Homework Statement

x
Determine all intervals over which the function f(x)=∫√(1+t^2) dt is concave upward

Homework Equations

I know concave up means the f"(x)>0, so you have to get the second derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x)=√(1+x^) by susbituting in x

Then f"(x)=1/2*(1+x^2)^(-1/2)*2x

This is equal to:
2x/2√(1+x^2)

Then, I'm really confused on what to do next because the denominator is never zero, so would the only critical point be 0 and you check to the left and right of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaJ283782 said:

Homework Statement

x
Determine all intervals over which the function f(x)=∫√(1+t^2) dt is concave upward

Apparently that is ##\int_1^x \frac 1 {\sqrt{1+t^2}}~dt##

Homework Equations

I know concave up means the f"(x)>0, so you have to get the second derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x)=√(1+x^) by susbituting in x

Then f"(x)=1/2*(1+x^2)^(-1/2)*2x

This is equal to:
2x/2√(1+x^2)

Then, I'm really confused on what to do next because the denominator is never zero, so would the only critical point be 0 and you check to the left and right of that?

Yes. Find where it is positive. Don't be afraid to cancel the 2's.

Likes 1 person
I apologize for the typo! So it would be:

x/√(1+x^2)

The only critical number would be 0 then, so wouldn't it be concave up on (-infinity, 0) and (0, infinity) since the denominator is always positive because of the square root?

Is the numerator always positive?

The numerator would give only a critical point of 0 since that is the only place it is not defined, right? So then it would be concave up on (0, infinity)?

There is no ##x## where that fraction is not defined. Instead of asking me if ##(0,\infty)## is the answer, explain why you think it is.

It would be (0, ∞) since the critical point is 0 because it makes the fraction zero. Concave up means f"(x)>0 and f"(x) is positive when the function is evaluated at any number greater than 0. If you evaluate the function at -1, for example, you would get a negative number, so it would be concave down less than 0. If that makes sense?

JessicaJ283782 said:
It would be (0, ∞) since the critical point is 0 because it makes the fraction zero. Concave up means f"(x)>0 and f"(x) is positive when the function is evaluated at any number greater than 0. If you evaluate the function at -1, for example, you would get a negative number, so it would be concave down less than 0. If that makes sense?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Since ##f''(x)=0## when ##x=0##, that is a point where the second derivative might change sign (or maybe not). That's why you check the signs on both sides. For ##x<0## you have ##\frac - +## and for ##x>0## you have ##\frac + +## for the signs. That's why ##f''(x)>0## for ##x>0##. That's how you want to analyze problems like this.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Related to Determining where the function is concave up? (Given an integral)

1. What does it mean for a function to be concave up?

Concave up refers to the shape of a function's graph, specifically when the graph curves upwards in a bowl-like shape. This indicates that the function is increasing at an increasing rate.

2. How do you determine where the function is concave up?

To determine where a function is concave up, you can take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-values where the second derivative is equal to zero. These x-values will be the points of inflection where the function changes from concave up to concave down.

3. Why is it important to know where a function is concave up?

Knowing where a function is concave up is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function. It can tell us where the function is increasing at an increasing rate, which can be useful in applications such as optimization problems.

4. Can a function be concave up and concave down at the same time?

No, a function cannot be both concave up and concave down at the same time. The function can only have one concavity at a given point, but it can change from concave up to concave down (or vice versa) at points of inflection.

5. Are there other methods for determining concavity besides taking the second derivative?

Yes, there are other methods for determining concavity such as using the first derivative test or using the graph of the function. These methods may be more useful in certain situations, but the second derivative test is generally the most reliable method for determining concavity.