How can I prove the inequality relationship between RMS, AM, GM, and HM?

• Thread starter cheiney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses discovering and proving the inequality relationship between root mean square, arithmetic mean, geometric mean, and harmonic mean using the equations (a-b)2 ≥ 0 and (√a-√b)2 ≥ 0. The speaker was able to show that AM ≥ GM, GM ≥ HM, and RMS ≥ GM, but needed help in showing RMS ≥ AM. They were able to use the equation a^2+b^2≥2ab and some algebra to show that RMS ≥ AM.
cheiney

Homework Statement

I am asked to discover and prove the inequality relationship between root mean square, arithmetic mean, geometric mean, and harmonic mean.

Homework Equations

Let a,b, be non-negative integers.
(a-b)2 ≥ 0 and (√a-√b)2 ≥ 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (a-b)2 ≥ 0 and (√a-√b)2 ≥ 0, I was able to show that AM ≥ GM , GM ≥ HM, and RMS ≥ GM, but I haven't really been able to show that RMS ≥ AM and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I used (a-b)2 ≥ 0 and did some algebra to show that √((a2+b2)/2) ≥ √ab

But I don't know if I can use that to show RMS ≥ AM.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
cheiney said:

Homework Statement

I am asked to discover and prove the inequality relationship between root mean square, arithmetic mean, geometric mean, and harmonic mean.

Homework Equations

Let a,b, be non-negative integers.
(a-b)2 ≥ 0 and (√a-√b)2 ≥ 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (a-b)2 ≥ 0 and (√a-√b)2 ≥ 0, I was able to show that AM ≥ GM , GM ≥ HM, and RMS ≥ GM, but I haven't really been able to show that RMS ≥ AM and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I used (a-b)2 ≥ 0 and did some algebra to show that √((a2+b2)/2) ≥ √ab

But I don't know if I can use that to show RMS ≥ AM.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight.

You know a^2+b^2>=2ab. Here's a hint. Add a^2+b^2 to both sides.

Dick said:
You know a^2+b^2>=2ab. Here's a hint. Add a^2+b^2 to both sides.

Thanks for the help! It clarified the step I was missing. From there, I would get (a^2+b^2)/2>=((a+b)^2)/4 and then take the square root to get RMS>=AM.

cheiney said:
Thanks for the help! It clarified the step I was missing. From there, I would get (a^2+b^2)/2>=((a+b)^2)/4 and then take the square root to get RMS>=AM.

You're welcome. Good use of the hint!

Related to How can I prove the inequality relationship between RMS, AM, GM, and HM?

1. What is the RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality?

The RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between the Root Mean Square (RMS), Arithmetic Mean (AM), Geometric Mean (GM), and Harmonic Mean (HM) of a set of non-negative numbers. It states that the RMS is greater than or equal to the AM, which is greater than or equal to the GM, which is greater than or equal to the HM.

2. How is the RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality used in mathematics?

The RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality is used to find the relationships between different types of means and to prove other mathematical theorems. It is also used in various fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering to analyze and compare data.

3. Can the RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality be applied to any set of numbers?

Yes, the RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality can be applied to any set of non-negative numbers, including fractions and decimals. However, it is important to note that the inequality only holds true for non-negative numbers and cannot be applied to negative numbers.

4. What are some real-life applications of the RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality?

The RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality has many real-life applications, such as in finance to compare investment returns, in education to evaluate student performance, and in medical research to determine the effectiveness of treatments. It is also used in sports to compare athletes' performance and in computer science to analyze and optimize algorithms.

5. Is the RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality a strict inequality or an equality?

The RMS-AM-GM-HM Inequality is a strict inequality, meaning that the values of the RMS, AM, GM, and HM will only be equal if all the numbers in the set are equal. In all other cases, the inequality will hold true with at least one of the means being greater than the others.