When does equality hold? schwarz inequality

• Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, by using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality with b = (1,1,1,...,1), it can be proven that (a1 + ... + an)^2 =< n(a1^2 + ... +an^2) for all values of n. The "n" in front of the right-hand side of the inequality represents the number of terms in the summation, and by giving small values to n, it can be seen that the inequality holds. For further understanding of inequalities, the book "Inequalities" by Hardy-Littlewood-Polya is recommended.
Terrell

Homework Statement

By choosing the correct vector b in the Schwarz inequality, prove that (a1 + ... + an)^2 =< n(a1^2 + ... +an^2)

Homework Equations

Schwarz inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

since the answer key says that a1 = a2 = ... = an, i tried plugging in values, but i am not getting anywhere and i completely have no intuition of what is happening here. and while on the topic, can anyone recommend books to read - both introductory and more advanced ones about inequalities? i would like a book that gives visual and geometric intuitions. books with proofs would be nice, but it's not a priority to me just yet. thank you!

Attachments

• schwarz inequality.png
    schwarz inequality.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:

Homework Statement

By choosing the correct vector b in the Schwarz inequality, prove that (a1 + ... + an)^2 =< n(a1^2 + ... +an^2)

Homework Equations

Schwarz inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

since the answer key says that a1 = a2 = ... = an, i tried plugging in values, but i am not getting anywhere and i completely have no intuition of what is happening here. and while on the topic, can anyone recommend books to read - both introductory and more advanced ones about inequalities? i would like a book that gives visual and geometric intuitions. books with proofs would be nice, but it's not a priority to me just yet. thank you!

You can easily check that for ##a_1 = a_2 = \cdots = a_n## the equality holds. As a hint, use the Cauchy - Schwarz inequality with ##b = (1,1,1,..,1)##. You need one more vector a. I leave it to you to figure it out and apply the inequality.

EDIT: I would recommend the book Inequalities by Hardy - Littlewood - Polya https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521358809/?tag=pfamazon01-20. This classic, is a comprehensive study of inequalities. For introductory level, I recommend practicing over a lot of exercises, that can be found easily on the net. But of course, there are lots of good introductory texts too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Terrell
QuantumQuest said:
You can easily check that for ##a_1 = a_2 = \cdots = a_n## the equality holds. As a hint, use the Cauchy - Schwarz inequality with ##b = (1,1,1,..,1)##. You need one more vector a. I leave it to you to figure it out and apply the inequality.

EDIT: I would recommend the book Inequalities by Hardy - Littlewood - Polya https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521358809/?tag=pfamazon01-20. This classic, is a comprehensive study of inequalities. For introductory level, I recommend practicing over a lot of exercises, that can be found easily on the net. But of course, there are lots of good introductory texts too.
thanks i think i got it but i don't get what the "n" in front of "n(a1^2 + ... +an^2)" means

Last edited by a moderator:
is n = (<1,1,...,1>)^2...?

Terrell said:
thanks i think i got it but i don't get what the "n" in front of "n(a1^2 + ... +an^2)" means

In order to understanding it better, give some small value to n and see what the ##(a_1 + \cdots + a_n)^{2} \leq n(a_1^{2}+\cdots+a_n^{2})## gives.

Likes Terrell
QuantumQuest said:
In order to understanding it better, give some small value to n and see what the ##(a_1 + \cdots + a_n)^{2} \leq n(a_1^{2}+\cdots+a_n^{2})## gives.
ahh got it! thanks. that's so simple that it's embarassing

Likes QuantumQuest

Related to When does equality hold? schwarz inequality

1. What is the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical inequality that relates the inner product of two vectors in an inner product space to their norms. It states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their norms.

2. When does the Schwarz inequality hold?

The Schwarz inequality holds for all vectors in an inner product space, as long as the space satisfies the properties of an inner product space. This includes the existence of a positive definite inner product, linearity in the first argument, and conjugate symmetry.

3. How is the Schwarz inequality used in mathematics?

The Schwarz inequality is a fundamental tool in mathematics, particularly in fields such as linear algebra, functional analysis, and optimization. It is used to prove various theorems and inequalities, as well as to derive new results.

4. Can the Schwarz inequality be generalized to other spaces?

Yes, the Schwarz inequality can be generalized to other spaces such as Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and even metric spaces. In these cases, the inner product is replaced with a suitable concept of duality, and the inequality still holds.

5. What are the applications of the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in signal processing, statistics, quantum mechanics, and many other fields. It is also a powerful tool in proving convergence of series and inequalities in analysis.