How Can I Prove De Morgan's Law Using Basic Logical Rules?

• Thread starter LT123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Proof
In summary, the best approach to prove the statement (~P & ~Q) => ~(P V Q) is through reductio ad absurdum. By assuming ~(P V Q) and using various logical rules such as &I, &E, Constructive Dilemma, and Biconditional Introduction, we can arrive at the desired conclusion.
LT123

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove (~P & ~Q) => ~(P V Q) using only MP, negation elimination, &I conjunction, &E simplification, addition, constructive dilemma, biconditional introduction and elimination, conditional proof, and reductio ad absurdum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that the only way to do the prove is reductio ad absurdum. But,
I am stuck after hypothesizing (P V Q). I looked at embedding other hypothesis to get a useful negation but could only come up with ~(P & Q). I don't think it will be useful.

Any hints on the hypothesis I need to use?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! As you mentioned, the best approach to prove this statement is through reductio ad absurdum. Here's one possible way to do it:

1. Assume ~(P V Q) [Hypothesis]
2. Assume P [Hypothesis]
3. From (2), we can use &I to get P & P.
4. Using &E, we can get P.
5. From (2) and (5), we can use Constructive Dilemma to get P V Q.
6. But this contradicts our original assumption in (1).
7. Therefore, we can use Reductio Ad Absurdum to conclude ~(P V Q) => ~P.
8. Similarly, we can also prove ~(P V Q) => ~Q.
9. Using &I, we can get ~(P V Q) & ~P & ~Q.
10. By Biconditional Introduction, we can get (~P & ~Q) => ~(P V Q).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to How Can I Prove De Morgan's Law Using Basic Logical Rules?

What is De Morgan's law?

De Morgan's law is a fundamental principle in mathematical logic named after mathematician Augustus De Morgan. It states that the negation of a conjunction (AND) is logically equivalent to the disjunction (OR) of the negations of the individual statements.

What is the first part of De Morgan's law?

The first part of De Morgan's law, also known as De Morgan's first law, states that the negation of a conjunction (AND) is equivalent to the disjunction (OR) of the negations of the individual statements. Symbolically, it is represented as ¬(p ∧ q) ≡ (¬p ∨ ¬q).

What is the second part of De Morgan's law?

The second part of De Morgan's law, also known as De Morgan's second law, states that the negation of a disjunction (OR) is equivalent to the conjunction (AND) of the negations of the individual statements. Symbolically, it is represented as ¬(p ∨ q) ≡ (¬p ∧ ¬q).

How is De Morgan's law used in logic proofs?

De Morgan's law is often used in logic proofs to simplify complex statements and make them easier to manipulate. By applying De Morgan's law, complex logical statements can be transformed into simpler forms, making it easier to determine their truth value and ultimately prove a conclusion.

What are some real-world applications of De Morgan's law?

De Morgan's law has various real-world applications, including digital circuit design, computer programming, and boolean algebra. It is also used in fields such as statistics, economics, and linguistics. In everyday life, De Morgan's law can be applied in problem-solving and decision-making processes.