Proofs involving negations and conditionals

In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for proof-reading and feedback on a math textbook, specifically on how to write and understand proofs. The participants also discuss different techniques for tackling proofs involving conditionals and negations, and provide multiple proofs for a given statement. The conversation ends with positive feedback on the proofs presented.
jfierro
0. Background

First and foremost, this is a proof-reading request. I'm going through Velleman's "How To Prove It" because I found that writing and understanding proofs is a prerequisite to serious study of mathematics that I did not meet. Unfortunately, the book is very light on answers to its exercises and there is no solution manual available for purchase. Also, I understand that the best (and only?) way of learning to write proofs is by getting feedback from actual human beings. For what it's worth, I have an engineering degree's curriculum worth of math.

1. Homework Statement

Exercise 3.2.2. This problem could be solved by using truth tables, but don't do it that way. Instead, use the methods for writing proofs discussed discussed so far in this chapter. (See Example 3.2.4.)
  1. Suppose ## P \rightarrow Q ## and ## R \rightarrow \neg Q ## are both true. Prove that ## P \rightarrow \neg R ## is true.
  2. Suppose that ## P ## is true. Prove that ## Q \rightarrow \neg (Q \rightarrow \neg P) ##.

Homework Equations

At this point Velleman has introduced sentential and quantificational logic. He has talked about a few techniques that can be used to tackle proofs involving conditionals and negations, including proof by contradiction and contrapositive, how one can use the givens of a problem to infer other givens via inference rules such as modus ponens and modus tollens, etc. For example, he says that to prove a statement of the form ##P \rightarrow Q##, one can assume that P is true and then prove Q.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one is rather simple:
  • Suppose ##P## is true. Then, since ##P \rightarrow Q##, it follows that ##Q## is true. By the contrapositive of ## R \rightarrow \neg Q ##, we know that ## Q \rightarrow \neg R ##. Therefore, ## P \rightarrow \neg R ##.
The second one I found at least 3 ways of proving, so I'm most interested in input on this one. Which one would be better? Are there other, better ways of proving it?
  • (By assuming the antecedent is true and proving the consequent. Contrapositive.) Suppose ##Q## is true. Then ## \neg (Q \rightarrow \neg P) ## is also true since it is equivalent to ## Q \wedge P ## and we know ##P## is true. Therefore, if ## Q ##, then ## \neg (Q \rightarrow \neg P)##.

• (By contrapositive.) We will prove ##Q \rightarrow \neg (Q \rightarrow \neg P)## by its contrapositive ##(Q \rightarrow \neg P) \rightarrow \neg Q##. Suppose ##Q \rightarrow \neg P## is true. Since we know ##P## is true, it cannot be that ##Q## is true (again by contrapositive). Therefore, ##(Q \rightarrow \neg P) \rightarrow \neg Q##.

• (By contradiction.) Assume ##\neg (Q \rightarrow \neg (Q \rightarrow \neg P))## is true. This is equivalent to saying that ## Q \wedge (Q \rightarrow \neg P) ## is true. Thus, both ## Q ## and ## Q \rightarrow \neg P ## must be true. But since ## Q \rightarrow \neg P ##, we have ## \neg P ##, which is a contradiction. Therefore, it cannot be the case that ##Q \rightarrow \neg (Q \rightarrow \neg P)## is false.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of your proofs look fine to me. For the second statement, I don't see any reason to prefer one of your three proofs over another. It's a matter of taste. I like the middle proof (contrapositive) slightly better because it doesn't require me to remember how to negate ##A \to B##. But they're all valid and easy to understand. Nice job finding several proofs of the same statement - doing so can often provide additional insight into the problem.

Likes jfierro
Thanks a lot. I realize the proofs are very basic so there wasn't much room for me to screw up. I just exercise 3.2.8 which was a bit more challenging and I'll post that in a new thread soon.

Related to Proofs involving negations and conditionals

1. What is a negation in a proof?

A negation in a proof is a statement that denies or contradicts a given statement. It is represented by the symbol "~" and is read as "not". For example, if the statement "p" is true, then "~p" is false.

2. How do you prove a conditional statement?

To prove a conditional statement, you must show that the given condition implies the consequent. This can be done using a direct proof, a proof by contrapositive, or a proof by contradiction.

3. What is the difference between a contrapositive and a negation?

In a conditional statement "if p, then q", the contrapositive is "if ~q, then ~p". In other words, the contrapositive is the negation of both the condition and the consequent.

4. Can you use proof by contradiction to prove a conditional statement?

Yes, proof by contradiction can be used to prove a conditional statement. This method involves assuming the opposite of the given statement and showing that it leads to a contradiction. This contradiction then proves the original statement.

5. How do you use De Morgan's Laws in proofs involving negations?

De Morgan's Laws state that ~(p ^ q) is equivalent to ~p v ~q and ~(p v q) is equivalent to ~p ^ ~q. These laws can be used in proofs involving negations by allowing for the transformation of a statement into its equivalent form, making it easier to prove or disprove.