How can I protect an egg from cracking with limited materials?

In summary, the instructor provides us with materials to protect an egg from cracking, but we need to come up with a different solution for dropping the egg from different orientations. We can reduce the maximum force on the egg by creating a cushion to stop it from hitting the ground quickly.
pandabento09
Hey Guys,

I know that this has been posted before, but mine is slightly different.

Our instructor only provides:

5 medium rubber bands
5 sheets of 8.5 X 11 paper
20 inches of scotch tape
20 inches of string

We can only use the materials he provides us.

Can you please give me ideas for helping me constructing a protection for the egg from cracking?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you learned by reading back over the old PF threads about this project?

Depends on how you have to protect the egg. Is it dropping always in the same orientation? Do you need to protect it so it can be dropped from any orientation? ie: Dropping it from 2 inches is a different solution than from 6 feet. Dropping it on its side has different constraints than dropping it if it were tumbling (either slowly or quickly)

What are the specifics of the problem you need to solve?

we're droping it from 3 meters.

You are trying to reduce the maximum force on the egg. since F = m a, you do this by reducing the rate of deceleration, that is make the egg stop more slowly when it hits the ground.

You might want to look up "crumple zones" in cars.

pandabento09 said:
5 medium rubber bands
5 sheets of 8.5 X 11 paper
20 inches of scotch tape
20 inches of string

One thought would be to use 4 of the sheets for a parachute canopy (held open by you at release), and the other sheet for a crumple pad thing taped underneath. Wonder if that would work... (walking off to mock one up...)

A parachute could definitely help you land so that the egg stays on top of whatever you use to cushion the fall.

I imagine there are several ways to build the cushions. Looking at an egg crate from the store might give you some ideas. Think about the geometrical structures you can build with paper and tape (cylinders, cones, pyramids, whatever) and how you might use them to build something that will cushion the fall.

Related to How can I protect an egg from cracking with limited materials?

1. What materials do I need for an egg drop experiment?

The materials needed for an egg drop experiment typically include an egg, various types of containers (such as plastic cups, paper cups, or boxes), padding materials (such as bubble wrap, cotton balls, or foam), and tape or glue.

2. Can I use any type of container for the egg drop experiment?

Yes, you can use any type of container as long as it is strong enough to protect the egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height. However, it is recommended to use containers with smooth surfaces to reduce friction and increase the chances of a successful experiment.

3. What materials are best for padding the egg?

The best materials for padding an egg are those that can absorb shock and provide cushioning. Some common materials used for padding in egg drop experiments include bubble wrap, cotton balls, foam, and shredded paper. It is important to use enough padding to fully cover the egg and protect it from breaking upon impact.

4. Is there a specific height from which the egg should be dropped?

The height from which the egg should be dropped can vary depending on the age and skill level of the participants. Generally, a height of 10-15 feet is recommended for elementary school students, while higher heights can be used for older students or more advanced experiments.

5. Can I use multiple eggs for the egg drop experiment?

Yes, you can use multiple eggs for the experiment to test different container and padding materials. It is important to label each egg and keep track of which materials were used for each one to accurately analyze the results and determine the most effective setup.