Constructing an Egg Drop Device with Limited Materials

In summary, for a physics project where an egg must be dropped 30ft with limited materials of 60cm of half inch thick clear tape, three sheets of paper, and four straws, the idea of using helicopter blades made of paper, straws, and paper bits as cushions in a modded paper water bomb is proposed. Additional ideas include using a cylinder of paper with a "spring" made of straws underneath and a fin tail made from the rest of the paper for stabilization. It is also suggested to use strips of paper taped together to lower the egg to the ground, but it may not be allowed depending on the size and type of paper. It is noted that this design has been successful in the past, but there may
ReasonExcuse
in physics we have to drop an egg 30ft and the only materials we have is 60cm of half inch thick clear tape, three sheets of paper, and four straws I am thinking about making helicopter blades for it and putting it in a modded paper water bomb with straws and paper bits as cushions but idk if thatll work. open to ideas o and NO parachutes

Physics news on Phys.org
Rolling the paper into a cylinder around the egg, and putting a "spring" made of the straws under it might be a good shock absorber. Use the rest of the paper for a fin tail to stabilize it.

PHP:
_____
\| |/
 |O|
 |S|
 \S/

ReasonExcuse said:
in physics we have to drop an egg 30ft and the only materials we have is 60cm of half inch thick clear tape, three sheets of paper, and four straws I am thinking about making helicopter blades for it and putting it in a modded paper water bomb with straws and paper bits as cushions but idk if thatll work. open to ideas o and NO parachutes

What size and type of paper, and are you allowed to cut it?
If it's 8.5x11 you may be able to tape strips of paper together and LOWER the egg to the ground :)

Shouldn't this thread be in the homework section?

attachment.php?attachmentid=47059&stc=1&d=1336428642.png

Attachments

• eggdrop.png
    eggdrop.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 21,240
Last edited:
A.T. said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=47059&stc=1&d=1336428642.png

This design worked for me when I did this project 400 years ago. ;)

Chemicist said:
This design worked for me when I did this project 400 years ago. ;)
Seems like the simplest possible design given the materials. There might be a risk of failure during secondary impact if the tip is too stable and the cone falls over to one side after landing.

This one worked awesome with my base idea thanks

1. How do I begin constructing an egg drop device?

To begin constructing an egg drop device with limited materials, you will need to gather all the materials you have available. This can include items such as paper, tape, straws, and other household items. Next, you will need to come up with a design or plan for your device. This can involve sketching out different ideas or looking up examples online for inspiration.

2. What materials are best for constructing an egg drop device?

There is no one "best" material for constructing an egg drop device, as it will depend on the design and structure of your device. However, some commonly used materials include paper cups, straws, popsicle sticks, cotton balls, and bubble wrap. It is important to choose materials that are lightweight, but also sturdy enough to protect the egg during the drop.

3. How can I make my egg drop device more sturdy?

One way to make your egg drop device more sturdy is to use multiple layers of materials. For example, you can use a paper cup as the outer layer and then fill it with cotton balls or bubble wrap for added cushioning. You can also reinforce your device with tape or glue to make it more secure. Another tip is to distribute the weight of the egg evenly throughout the device to prevent it from breaking upon impact.

4. What is the best way to test my egg drop device?

The best way to test your egg drop device is to simulate the drop using a similar object, such as a raw egg or a small toy. Drop the object from a height that is comparable to the drop it will experience in the actual experiment. If the object remains intact, your device is likely to be successful in protecting the egg. If the object breaks, you may need to make adjustments to your design.

5. How can I improve my egg drop device's chances of success?

There are a few ways to improve your egg drop device's chances of success. One way is to carefully and securely fasten all the materials together to prevent them from falling apart during the drop. Another way is to test your device multiple times and make adjustments as needed. You can also research different designs and techniques used by others to get ideas for how to improve your own device. Lastly, make sure to carefully handle and drop your device during the actual experiment to avoid any accidental damage.