How Can I Improve My Spark Gap Switch for High-Speed Photography?

In summary: The capacitor is only there as a trigger, it doesn't actually do anything with the photo other than store the energy.In summary, Desmond is an auto electrician who has invented a new form of photography which he calls 'superspeed photography'. His early attempts involved a water balloon being burst by a needle pushed into it by a solenoid in series with the flash capacitor, but he has since developed a spark-gap switch which he claims is more reliable. Tonight, he tried a different version of the switch which he hopes will be more successful. He has also put light bulbs in series with it to reduce the noise of the fuses blowing in his garage. Any advice on perfecting his design for reliable switching would be appreciated.
DesmondD
Hi everyone , this is my first post here :) . I am an auto electrician , my hobby is photography. I am interested in high speed photography and have invented a new form of photography in a way . I call it 'superspeed photography' . It involves taking a picture of something that is triggered by the act of taking the picture .
My early attempt involved a water balloon being burst by a needle pushed into it by a solenoid in series with the flash capacitor ...
aaaDSC_0439.jpg

Now I am busy building a spark-gap switch or 'trigatron' as I am told it is called .
It is proving difficult to get reliability . With the first design I drilled a hole in the conductor and ran an insulated wire down the middle so that when I take a picture my camera flash triggers a 40 000 volt spark down the centre of the contacts and causes the 320 volt capacitor to jump the gap through the ionized air .

zDSCF0009.jpg

It blew a 10 amp and a 20 amp fuse on two of my attempts ...

aDSCF0023.jpg

a 40 amp fuse caused the electrode tip to blow off rather and it is proving difficult to get a reliable switch each time .
This is a 3.5 amp fuse blowing with 320 volts photographed at 1/1000th sec - the act of pressing the shutter is what triggers the spark and 'explosion' ...

zDSC_0002.jpg

Tonight I tried a different version based on some pictures I have seen of a trigatron - it isn't switching though the contacts should last much longer this time if I get it to work ...
I've put some light bulbs in series with the switch to quieten the noise of fuses blowing in my garage though I'm wondering if they just can't light up fast enough for the quick switching action I would get ?
aP1040290.jpg

aP1040291.jpg

Any advice on perfecting this design for reliable switching and hopefully some really good photos would be appreciated :)
zsparks018.jpg

Thanks , Desmond .

Physics news on Phys.org
1100 views and no replies yet? Does anyone have any answers for me?
here's my last design.
aaatrigatron_zpsf9e47ce3.jpg

Last edited:
I would probably have used the hot shoe switch directly rather than the current through the flash capacitor. Then the rest is electronics and depends on what exacty you are trying to trigger. Perhaps use an opto isolator to fire a triac or something.

PS: Make the Triac easy to replace if you are trying to pop fuses with unlimited current.

Last edited:
CWatters said:
I would probably have used the hot shoe switch directly rather than the current through the flash capacitor. Then the rest is electronics and depends on what exacty you are trying to trigger. Perhaps use an opto isolator to fire a triac or something.

PS: Make the Triac easy to replace if you are trying to pop fuses with unlimited current.

I eventually wired up an SCR to the hotshoe trigger circuit, the one I'm using is rated at 800volts and 3800 amps surge.
aaDSC_0005.jpg

aaaDSC_0171_zpsf89874dd.jpg

It dumps the capacitor across a thin piece of wire and ignites the gunpowder quite nicely.
aDSC_0016-1.jpg

However, I would still like to perfect the Trigatron just for fun:)

If you get it working you could get the trigatron to take it's own picture.

Related to How Can I Improve My Spark Gap Switch for High-Speed Photography?

1. What is a spark gap switch and how does it work?

A spark gap switch is a type of electrical switch that uses a gap between two electrodes to control the flow of electricity. When a high enough voltage is applied, a spark will form between the electrodes, allowing current to flow through the switch. When the voltage is turned off, the spark will extinguish and the switch will open, preventing further current flow.

2. What are the main applications of a spark gap switch?

Spark gap switches are commonly used in high voltage and high power applications, such as in pulsed power systems, lasers, and particle accelerators. They are also used in lightning protection systems and as safety switches in industrial equipment.

3. How can I improve the performance of a spark gap switch?

To improve the performance of a spark gap switch, you can adjust the gap distance between the electrodes, the material of the electrodes, and the gas or vacuum pressure inside the gap. These factors can affect the breakdown voltage, response time, and durability of the switch.

4. What are some common issues that can arise with spark gap switches?

Some common issues with spark gap switches include arcing, which can cause damage to the electrodes and decrease the switch's performance, and insulation breakdown, which can occur if the voltage is too high for the switch to handle. It is important to carefully design and test spark gap switches to avoid these issues.

5. What are some tips for designing a reliable spark gap switch?

To design a reliable spark gap switch, it is important to carefully consider the materials, dimensions, and operating conditions of the switch. Use high quality materials with good electrical and thermal properties, and ensure that the switch is properly insulated to prevent arcing. It is also helpful to test the switch under various conditions to ensure its reliability and performance before use.