How Can You Safely Discharge High-Voltage Capacitors Without Losing Energy?

In summary, the capacitors are being charged by a DC power supply, and then quickly discharged on something that is likely to damage them. The discharge circuit should include a inductive load to prevent oscillation, and a dampening diode to prevent contact arcing.
gustafangus
Hello,
I have a bit of a problem with my project and it is as follows: I am trying to discharge a capacitor bank (2x 470uf 400V capacitors in parallel). I tried making a MOSFET switch to use that as a switch, but it kept burning out the mosfets (they were rated for 600V and around 100A), then I went and grabbed a laundry style clip (the plastic thing you use to hang clothes) and made a switch from that, HOWEVER, here is the problem. When I close the switch, there is always an explosion on the contacts of the switch (they become black aswell). I guess it's because the current is so high it just explodes on contact or something, i don't know. After these explosions, the capacitors are completely empty (they go from 400V to 0V), so the problem I have is that all the energy stored in the capacitors is discharged on that switch explosion, and I am wondering what kind of switching device or circuit or whatever I can make for there to be NO loss in energy on the actual switch, so I can actually use the energy stored in the capacitors for my project.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why are the capacitors charged in the first place? It sounds like you are dealing with voltages and energies higher than you should be. Why not just use a large value resistance bleed resistor?

berkeman said:
Why are the capacitors charged in the first place? It sounds like you are dealing with voltages and energies higher than you should be. Why not just use a large value resistance bleed resistor?

I'm not sure you understand, I am charging them with a DC power supply and trying to quickly discharge them on something. I know how to deal with high voltages, I have been doing this for a long time. My question was how to large capacitors with no energy loss on the switch. :)

gustafangus said:
I'm not sure you understand, I am charging them with a DC power supply and trying to quickly discharge them on something. I know how to deal with high voltages, I have been doing this for a long time. My question was how to large capacitors with no energy loss on the switch. :)
Are you using capacitors specifically made for quick discharge of high energy? If you are using standard caps, there is a good chance they will be damaged by a rapid discharge.

What reading have you done on this so far? I did a quick Google search of high energy capacitor discharge, and got lots of good hits.

Put a inductive load in the discharge circuit. A suitable inductive resistance will prevent the switch contact arcing, as it opposes the discharge current surge.
To prevent oscillation, remember to also include a dampening diode parallel to the inductor.
And, just my personal preference, in such circuits, I include a one ohm, high wattage, inductively neutral resistor in the discharge path.
Among other things, it makes a handy test point for troubleshooting.

My question would be what other components are in the discharge circuit? So far we know about capacitors and a makeshift switch. Exactly where do you want this energy to go?

Thread locked for moderation.

Related to How Can You Safely Discharge High-Voltage Capacitors Without Losing Energy?

1. Why do capacitors need to be discharged?

Capacitors store electrical energy and can hold a charge even when not connected to a power source. Discharging them prevents any potential hazards associated with handling or repairing electronic devices.

2. How do I know if a capacitor is fully discharged?

You can use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the capacitor. If the reading shows 0 volts, then the capacitor is fully discharged.

3. Can I discharge a capacitor by touching its leads together?

No, this is not a safe method as it can cause a spark or shock. It is best to use a resistor or a discharge tool specifically designed for capacitors.

4. How long does it take for a capacitor to discharge?

The time it takes for a capacitor to discharge depends on the capacitance and the resistance in the discharge circuit. A larger capacitor or a higher resistance will take longer to discharge.

5. Is it necessary to discharge a capacitor before replacing it?

Yes, it is always recommended to discharge a capacitor before handling or replacing it, even if it hasn't been connected to a power source for a while. This will ensure your safety and prevent any damage to the electronic device.