How can I get wind powered electricity in my home?

In summary, if you want to install a windmill to supplement your electricity needs, you will need to speak with your local building department and your utility company first. You will also need to pay close attention to the regulations from your power company.
bluemoonKY
I currently get my electricity from an electric company. I would like to get a windmill installed on my roof to supplement my electricity needs. I want to be able to use the windmill to get as much free electricity as I can, and I would like to continue to keep getting the rest of the electricity I need from the electric company. I live in a townhouse. After I get a windmill installed on my roof, how do I make it so that I can get electricity from my windmill as a supplement to the electricity I get from the electric company?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to speak with the local building department and your utility company first regarding local codes and permitting requirements.

Also, if you rent this townhouse, you need to discuss this with the owner.

I recommend paying very close attention to the regulations from your power company. I was looking into installing solar panels on my house and hooking them up to the grid, but my power company charges something like 75 dollars a month for this, so I decided not to.

bluemoonKY said:
I want to be able to use the windmill to get as much free electricity as I can...
Note that if money is the main motivation, it will take many years for this endeavour to turn a profit.

bluemoonKY said:
I would like to get a windmill installed on my roof to supplement my electricity needs.
But are you in a reliably windy location for most of the year? Silly question, maybe, but it's a crucial factor.

If you can locate the windmill some distance from your building you might sleep better at night. But don't place it close to someone else's home, either. Windmills are not silent machines, you know (except when they are not turning). :rolleyes: Compare this with the silence of photovoltaic cells hard at work in the sunshine.

Also consider the nuisances of noise and flicker on your household and on your neighbors.

An acquaintance was annoyed to come home, north from his snowbird's nest, and find a visually unattractive windmill built in his neighborhood. When he learned of thump and flicker he was incensed to discover that state law preempts all regulation of windmills.

Related to How can I get wind powered electricity in my home?

1. What is wind-powered electricity?

Wind-powered electricity, also known as wind energy, is a renewable energy source that uses the power of wind to generate electricity. This is done through wind turbines, which capture the kinetic energy of the wind and convert it into electrical energy.

2. How can I get wind-powered electricity in my home?

To get wind-powered electricity in your home, you can install a small-scale wind turbine on your property. This will require a suitable location with consistent wind speeds, as well as permits and approvals from your local government. You can also purchase wind energy from a utility company that offers it as an option.

3. What are the benefits of wind-powered electricity?

There are several benefits of using wind-powered electricity in your home. It is a clean and renewable source of energy, meaning it does not produce air pollution or contribute to climate change. It is also cost-effective in the long run, as wind is a free resource. Additionally, installing a wind turbine can increase the value of your property.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using wind-powered electricity?

While wind-powered electricity has many benefits, there are also some disadvantages to consider. Wind energy is not always consistent, so it may not be a reliable source of electricity for all locations. The initial cost of installing a wind turbine can also be expensive, and it may take several years to see a return on investment. Additionally, some people may find the visual impact of wind turbines to be unappealing.

5. Are there any government incentives for using wind-powered electricity?

Yes, there are various government incentives and tax credits available for individuals and businesses that invest in wind energy. These incentives vary by location, so it is important to research what is available in your area. You may also be eligible for net metering, which allows you to sell excess energy back to the grid, potentially reducing your electricity costs.