Will insulation on electric power lines affect the flow of power?

• I
  • Thread starter KurtLudwig
  • Start date
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Will insulation of electric power lines interfere with delivery of electric power? It would greatly decrease the setting of fires in dry conditions.
If electric power lines were insulated, there will be no or much less sparking between wires when poles are blown down during high winds.
(I am thinking of the recent fire in Lahaina, Maui. My granddaughter barely escaped the fire. The family lost all their homes.)
I had believed that electricity was conducted inside of copper wires. Then I read that the energy is carried by the electromagnetic field, mainly outside of the copper wires. How does insulation affect the electric field around a current-carrying wire? Will it impede the flow of electric energy?
I have also read on Wikipedia about a Poynting vector inside a co-axial cable. I am not sure I fully understand the concept of vectors. Could you elaborate?

• Care
Likes berkeman and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
TL;DR Summary: Will insulation of electric power lines interfere with delivery of electric power? It would greatly decrease the setting of fires in dry conditions.

My granddaughter barely escaped the fire. The family lost all their homes.
I am glad they escaped with their lives and sad to hear they lost their home.

KurtLudwig said:
How does insulation affect the electric field around a current-carrying wire? Will it impede the flow of electric energy?
Insulation would not impede the flow of electrical energy along the wires. It would add to the cost, both of the wire itself and also the supports needed to hold the extra weight.

Likes Klystron, KurtLudwig, vanhees71 and 2 others
Insulation is a disadvantage.
1. Insulated wire costs more than bare wire.
2. It weighs more, so needs thicker wire, and poles to support it.
3. It has greater wind section, so needs better support wires and poles.
4. The melting point of insulation limits the wire temperature, so wire must be thicker, which then needs a greater circumference of insulation.
5. In winter, it insulates, so prevents melting ice on the lines with reactive current.

A fallen insulated line will have a bare end without insulation. That will start surface fires.

Insulation is really only needed where trees can contact the power lines. Trimming trees will reduce the fire problem significantly.

If you insulate the wire, you might as well place it underground in a conduit.

Likes Klystron, vanhees71, DaveE and 1 other person
Thank you for your answers.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Undergrounding power is economic in new high-density suburbs, where the earthworks are planned with drainage, before the construction of roads.

Above-ground power, indirectly, reduces the height of trees in avenues. Trees block the sun and wind, which reduces temperature extremes. Tall trees cast longer shadows, over more PV panels. Tall trees drop limbs, or fall on houses during windstorms, or burn during bushfires.

My state-owned power-company inspector told me to replace my two privately-owned timber power poles, because they had signs of rot. They quoted AU$2k each at the time.
I have a vintage JCB backhoe for gardening, so I buried a 3PH line in conduit, from the road to my house. I now buy power at the front boundary. The power company had to finance and install a pole to cross the public road for my connection. At the same time, I converted from 1PH to 3PH, so they were required to upgrade their transformer, at their cost. I had to apply to Municipal Council for an easement, to cross the 1 foot (300 mm), underground from the State's pole to my boundary.
By going underground, I saved AU$1k and got 3PH power, (which would have required taller and more expensive power poles). I also escaped from the liability of rotting poles and overhead wires on my property.
Above all, I saved them the cost of doing the regular safety inspection of two private power poles.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, russ_watters, nsaspook and 1 other person

1. How does insulation on electric power lines affect the flow of power?

Insulation on electric power lines can affect the flow of power in several ways. It can reduce the amount of power lost through heat, improve the efficiency of the transmission, and protect the lines from damage or interference.

2. Will adding insulation to power lines increase the cost of electricity?

Yes, adding insulation to power lines can increase the cost of electricity. The cost of materials and installation for insulation can add to the overall cost of producing and transmitting electricity. However, the long-term benefits of reduced power loss and improved efficiency may offset this cost.

3. Can insulation on power lines improve the reliability of electricity?

Yes, insulation on power lines can improve the reliability of electricity. By reducing the risk of power outages due to damaged or interfered lines, insulation can help maintain a steady flow of power to homes and businesses.

4. Is there a specific type of insulation that is best for power lines?

There are several types of insulation that can be used for power lines, including polyethylene, XLPE, and EPR. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best option may vary depending on factors such as climate and voltage level.

5. Can insulation on power lines have any negative effects on the environment?

Insulation on power lines can have some negative effects on the environment, such as the production and disposal of materials used. However, the overall impact may be minimal compared to the benefits of reduced power loss and improved efficiency in the long run.