How can I find the equation for the cell division sequence?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells
In summary, the conversation discusses an activity to introduce the concept of sequences and series. It involves calculating the number of cells after a given time, creating a table, and finding the relationship between the number of cells and time. A suggestion is made to use a Computer Algebra System, such as Maple, to find the mathematical expression for the sequence. However, some argue against using such tools as it promotes laziness.
aisha
This is an activity to get an introduction to sequences and series it said every hour cells divide

It said there are 500 cells now how many will there be in an hour I wrote 1000 cells

It said to make a table for 5 hours so I got
Hours--Cells
1 ----- 1000
2-------2000
3-------4000
4-------8000
5-------16000

It said create an equation that relates the number of cells and the time I can't see the realationship can someone please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
At some time, choose like 4 hours, look at how the cells are different from the current time 4, and the previous iteration, 3.
Looks to me like it doubles every hour, which is what the problem states.
So maybe something like Cells[t] = Cells[t-1]*2 ??

aisha said:
This is an activity to get an introduction to sequences and series it said every hour cells divide

It said there are 500 cells now how many will there be in an hour I wrote 1000 cells

It said to make a table for 5 hours so I got
Hours--Cells
1 ----- 1000
2-------2000
3-------4000
4-------8000
5-------16000

It said create an equation that relates the number of cells and the time I can't see the realationship can someone please help me out!
It looks more to me like an exponential relationship. Hint: the base is 2. :rolleyes:

Think of what your coefficient for the general iterative form of the sequence will be. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres what I got I don't know if there is a better way to write it.

Number of cells = [tex] 2^\ (t-1) [/tex] [tex] *1000 [/tex]

Last edited:
Bravo! :approve:

Thanks soo much! Any tips on how to know what the relationship is?

What "relationship" (sic)??Between whom??

Daniel.

Usually, your coefficient is the first term of the sequence. As for the base, if you see doubling, it's definitely 2. After that, a little plugging-and-chugging to figure out the exponent doesn't hurt. If you don't see doubling, do what I do and use a CAS. Maple does an amazing job of fitting equations to sequences. I find guessing equations for sequences to be a real pain in the arse, but maybe I'm just too lazy.

"do what I do and use a CAS. Maple does an amazing job of fitting equations to sequences." Can you explain what u mean by this?

'CAS' stands for "Computer Algebra System", an almost magical computer program that does a variety of mathematical calculations that would otherwise be tedious/impossible/inaccurate by hand. Maple is one of the more popular ones (my 2nd favourite; MATLAB is the simply the best in my experience). Essentially, if you get your hands on one of these things, it will make your academic life a whole lot easier. Oh and all the good ones are proprietary.
You can actually input all the terms of your sequence into Maple and it will puke back the mathematical expression for the sequence. Pretty neat eh?

freemind said:
'CAS' stands for "Computer Algebra System", an almost magical computer program that does a variety of mathematical calculations that would otherwise be tedious/impossible/inaccurate by hand. Maple is one of the more popular ones (my 2nd favourite; MATLAB is the simply the best in my experience). Essentially, if you get your hands on one of these things, it will make your academic life a whole lot easier. Oh and all the good ones are proprietary.
You can actually input all the terms of your sequence into Maple and it will puke back the mathematical expression for the sequence. Pretty neat eh?

Honestly, I don't think she should be using something like that. It encourages laziness in the same way that overdependence on a calculator does. Besides, nothing she'll be seeing at her level will require anything so abstruse to figure out.

Related to How can I find the equation for the cell division sequence?

What does it mean when it is said that 500 cells divide every hour?

When it is said that 500 cells divide every hour, it means that the number of cells in a population is increasing at a rate of 500 cells per hour due to cell division.

What factors can affect the rate of cell division?

The rate of cell division can be affected by various factors such as nutrient availability, growth factors, temperature, pH levels, and presence of toxins or inhibitors.

How does cell division contribute to the growth and development of an organism?

Cell division is a crucial process in the growth and development of an organism. It allows for the production of new cells, which can differentiate and specialize into various types of cells needed for the organism's growth and function.

What are the different types of cell division?

There are two main types of cell division: mitosis and meiosis. Mitosis is a type of cell division that produces two identical daughter cells with the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell. Meiosis is a type of cell division that produces four genetically different daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

Can cell division go out of control and lead to diseases?

Yes, when cell division is not regulated properly, it can lead to diseases such as cancer. Uncontrolled cell division can result in the formation of abnormal cells, which can form tumors and disrupt the normal functioning of the body.