How do I find the emf and internal resistor of this cell of this circuit?

In summary: So, by solving equations using the known values of P and Q, you can find the emf E and the internal resistance r of the cell. In summary, the circuit consists of a main circuit with an unknown emf E and internal resistance r, and two resistors P and Q connected in series. Another circuit is connected at the end a, with a cell E1, resistor S, and galvanometer G. By finding the current through P and the voltage through Q in two different instances, we can calculate the emf E and internal resistance r of the cell using Ohm's law and the known values of P and Q.
kyna_KUzfairy
This is a potentiometer circuit. I don't have the diagram so I hope you can follow me. This is the main circuit with the unknown emf E with internal resistance r of the main cell and with two resistors P and Q connected in series at the bottom of this rectangular circuit, p being connected near end a and Q near end b of the bottom of the main circuit. Another circuit is connected to the main circuit at end a and to c in between the two resistors P and Q. This circuit has a cell E1 of emf 1V, a resistor S and a galvanometer G.

This is the question.
When P is 20Ω it is found that the deflection of g is zero for Q when it is 17Ω. When P is 40Ω, again it was found that the deflection of G is zero for Q when it is 35Ω. Find the emf E and the internal resistance r of the cell.

I tried finding the current through P and then finding the voltage through Q in both instances. I assumed the difference in the total voltages in both instances to be the voltage through internal resistance r. Am i correct? If not, how do I answer this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. To find the emf E and the internal resistance r of the cell, you need to calculate the current through P and the voltage through Q in both instances. Then, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage across the internal resistance r. The voltage across the internal resistance r is equal to the difference between the total voltages in both instances.

Related to How do I find the emf and internal resistor of this cell of this circuit?

1. What is the emf of a cell in a circuit?

The emf, or electromotive force, is the maximum potential difference that a cell can provide between its two terminals. It is essentially the measure of the cell's ability to convert chemical energy into electrical energy.

2. How do I measure the emf of a cell in a circuit?

The emf of a cell can be measured by using a voltmeter to measure the potential difference between the two terminals of the cell when it is not connected to a circuit. This will give you the maximum potential difference that the cell can provide.

3. What is the internal resistor of a cell in a circuit?

The internal resistor of a cell is the resistance that exists within the cell itself, due to the chemical processes that occur to produce the electrical energy. This resistance can affect the amount of current that can flow through the cell.

4. How do I calculate the internal resistor of a cell in a circuit?

The internal resistor of a cell can be calculated by measuring the voltage drop across the cell when it is connected to a known load, and then using Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance. The internal resistor is equal to the voltage drop divided by the current flowing through the circuit.

5. Why is it important to know the emf and internal resistor of a cell in a circuit?

Knowing the emf and internal resistor of a cell in a circuit is important because it allows you to understand the behavior and limitations of the cell in the circuit. It also allows you to calculate the amount of current that can flow through the circuit and ensure that the cell is being used properly to avoid damage.