How can I factor higher order equations to find the poles and zeros?

In summary, there is no general method for factoring higher degree polynomials and it is mostly a trial and error process. However, the Rational Zeros Theorem can provide some possible numbers to check for rational zeros, but there is no guarantee that a polynomial will have rational zeros.
karaandnick
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to factor higher order equations so that I can find the poles and zeros, my professor will not show how to do it and expects everyone to already know how, but i have forgotten and cannot find anywhere on the web to show a one and done method, please help!

here is one of the equations
x^6+24x^5+247x^4+1518x^3+5487x^2+10944x+8840

and another
x^3+3.46x^2+7.392x+1.7056

and 5th order and so on. i don't need these solved i just need someone to tell me how to go about solving them. is there any easy way that will work on any degree or will i have to apply multiple methods to each of them depending on the order.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look up Rational Zeros Theorem. Note that the first polynomial will not factor into irreducible polynomials with integer coefficients.

Your professor won't "show you how to do it" because there is NO general method for factoring higher degree polynomials. Factoring is pretty much "trial and error". The "rational zeros theorem" that eumyang mentioned is a good start: If x= m/n is a zero of the polynomial [itex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0[/itex], with all coefficients integers, then n must evenly divide the leading coefficient, [itex]a_n[/itex] and m must divide the constant term, [itex]a_0[/itex]. But even that just gives you some possible numbers to check- and there is no guarantee that a polynomial has rational zeros. If fact, there are polynomials, of degree 5 and higher, such that their zeros cannot be written in terms of radicals.

Related to How can I factor higher order equations to find the poles and zeros?

1. What is higher order factoring?

Higher order factoring is a mathematical process used to break down a complex number or polynomial into simpler factors. It involves finding the prime factors of a number or polynomial and then breaking down those factors into their own prime factors.

2. Why is higher order factoring important?

Higher order factoring is important because it allows for the simplification of complex numbers or polynomials, making them easier to work with and understand. It is also a fundamental skill in algebra and is used in many areas of mathematics, including cryptography and number theory.

3. How is higher order factoring different from regular factoring?

Higher order factoring involves breaking down a number or polynomial into its prime factors, while regular factoring involves finding the factors of a number or polynomial. Higher order factoring is typically used for more complex numbers or polynomials, while regular factoring is used for simpler numbers or polynomials.

4. What are some common strategies for higher order factoring?

Some common strategies for higher order factoring include using the distributive property, identifying common factors, and using the quadratic formula for polynomials. Other techniques, such as the difference of squares and grouping, can also be used depending on the specific problem.

5. How can higher order factoring be applied in real-world situations?

Higher order factoring is used in a variety of real-world situations, such as in cryptography to break down large numbers into their prime factors for encryption purposes. It is also used in finance to calculate interest rates and in engineering to simplify and analyze complex equations. Additionally, higher order factoring is used in computer science for data compression and error correction.