How Can I Evaluate Trig Functions Without a Calculator?

In summary, In Section 6.2, David explains how to evaluate trig functions without using a calculator but it is not clear to me. Cosine is negative in quadrant 2. To determine if cos 3 is positive or negative, without using a calculator, one could use a Maclaurin series.
mathdad
I am in the trigonometry section of my precalculus textbook by David Cohen. In Section 6.2, David explains how to evaluate trig functions without using a calculator but it is not clear to me.

Sample:

Is cos 3 positive or negative?

How do I determine if cos 3 is positive or negative without using a calculator?

Is the unit circle needed in this case?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
I am in the trigonometry section of my precalculus textbook by David Cohen. In Section 6.2, David explains how to evaluate trig functions without using a calculator but it is not clear to me.

Sample:

Is cos 3 positive or negative?

How do I determine if cos 3 is positive or negative without using a calculator?

Is the unit circle needed in this case?

I don't see any "evaluate" in your examples. All I see is a suggestion that we can gain SOMETHING rather easily.

3 is pretty close to $pi$. It's a little less. Is cosine positive or negative over on the $pi$ side of the Unit Circle?

Cosine is negative in quadrant 2.

So, cos 3 is negative.

- - - Updated - - -

What if the question is EVALUATE cos 3 without using a calculator? Do we need the unit circle?

RTCNTC said:
...What if the question is EVALUATE cos 3 without using a calculator? Do we need the unit circle?

I would likely use a Maclaurin series to approximate $\cos(3)$ to the desired accuracy, if asked to do so by hand.

\(\displaystyle \cos(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k)!}x^{2k}\right)\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k)!}9^{k}\right)\)

If we use the first 5 terms, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3)\approx1-\frac{9}{2}+\frac{81}{24}-\frac{729}{720}+\frac{6561}{40320}=-\frac{4367}{4480}\approx-0.9748\)

According to W|A, we have:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3)\approx-0.9899924966004454\)

MarkFL said:
I would likely use a Maclaurin series to approximate $\cos(3)$ to the desired accuracy, if asked to do so by hand.

\(\displaystyle \cos(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k)!}x^{2k}\right)\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^k}{(2k)!}9^{k}\right)\)

If we use the first 5 terms, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3)\approx1-\frac{9}{2}+\frac{81}{24}-\frac{729}{720}+\frac{6561}{40320}=-\frac{4367}{4480}\approx-0.9748\)

According to W|A, we have:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3)\approx-0.9899924966004454\)
MarkFL,

You are a true mathematician. I am far from your level of understanding mathematics. I am not familiar with the Maclaurin series. It looks very interesting but I am not there yet. Is my reply concerning cos 3 being negative correct, good or bad?

RTCNTC said:
MarkFL,

You are a true mathematician. I am far from your level of understanding mathematics. I am not familiar with the Maclaurin series. It looks very interesting but I am not there yet. Is my reply concerning cos 3 being negative correct, good or bad?

Yes, 3 radians is in quadrant II, and so the cosine of that angle is negative. As stated 3, is close to $\pi$, and so we should expect $\cos(3)$ to be close to -1. :)

When I get home tonight, I will work on selected questions from Section 6.2. If I get stuck, like always, I will come back here with my questions, and my math work seeking help. Thank you so much for your help, and your patience as I travel through the wonderful David Cohen textbook.

Related to How Can I Evaluate Trig Functions Without a Calculator?

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate an angle of a right triangle to the ratios of the lengths of its sides. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used to understand the values of trigonometric functions for any angle, as the coordinates of a point on the unit circle correspond to the values of sine and cosine for that angle.

3. How are trigonometric functions used in real life?

Trigonometric functions have many real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in various fields, including astronomy, architecture, and surveying.

4. What is the relationship between trigonometric functions and triangles?

Trigonometric functions are based on the properties of right triangles. Each trigonometric function is defined as a ratio of two sides of a right triangle, and these ratios can be used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle.

5. How do you calculate the values of trigonometric functions?

The values of trigonometric functions can be calculated using a scientific calculator, by referring to trigonometric tables, or by using the unit circle. These values can also be approximated using Taylor series or other mathematical methods.