Using reference angles to evaluate trig function

In summary, the conversation discusses a method of using reference angles to evaluate any trig function without relying on the unit circle. The method involves understanding the 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 triangles, and using reflection to find the trig functions of other angles. The conversation also mentions the addition of 0 and 30 degrees to the list of angles that can be evaluated using this method.
sparkie
Mod note: Moved from a Homework section, as this is more of a conceptual question than an actual homework problem.
I can't really memorize the unit circle, but I do remember my instructor teaching us how to use reference angles to evaluate any trig function without needing the unit circle. I was wondering if anyone remembers this method? I tried to google it but couldn't really find any good results on the topic.

I know we had to memorize three triangles for a 45, 60, 90 degree angles, but I'm a bit lost after that.

@Sparkle, if you post a question in the Homework sections, you must use the homework template.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
sparkie said:
I can't really memorize the unit circle, but I do remember my instructor teaching us how to use reference angles to evaluate any trig function without needing the unit circle. I was wondering if anyone remembers this method? I tried to google it but couldn't really find any good results on the topic.

I know we had to memorize three triangles for a 45, 60, 90 degree angles, but I'm a bit lost after that.
Once you understand the 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 triangles, use the method described here:
http://www.dummies.com/education/ma...e-values-for-the-six-trigonometric-functions/

sparkie said:

The angles also include 0 and 30 degrees.

You can evaluate any trig function of the listed angles (including the ones I added), using the unit circle and a bit of geometry. For example, since the terminal ray for 120° is the reflection across the vertical axis of the ray for 60°, it follows that sin(120°) = sin(60°) and that cos(120°) = - cos(60°). You can repeat this kind of analysis for any angle that can be obtained by reflecting the terminal rays for 30°, 45°, 60°, or 90°, and use it to find any of the trig functions of these angles.

Hey, thank you guys! It has been a while since this post, and I'm now getting to figuring this out. They loaded us up with school work to weed out the weak for the full-refund drop date, plus I was handed a pretty big project at work. Anyway, I'll get back with my results on these methods. Also, I may have posted in the homework section (sorry about that if I did), but this isn't really homework per say but something I should already know by now.

Related to Using reference angles to evaluate trig function

What is a reference angle?

A reference angle is the smallest angle formed by the terminal side of a given angle and the x-axis. It is always positive and falls between 0 and 90 degrees.

Why do we use reference angles to evaluate trig functions?

Using reference angles allows us to evaluate trigonometric functions for angles greater than 90 degrees. It simplifies the calculations and helps us find the exact values of trig functions for any angle.

How do you find the reference angle for a given angle?

To find the reference angle, first identify the quadrant in which the angle lies. Then, subtract the angle's measurement from the nearest multiple of 90 degrees in that quadrant. The resulting difference is the reference angle.

Can the reference angle be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the reference angle is always between 0 and 90 degrees. If the angle given is greater than 90 degrees, we find the reference angle in the corresponding quadrant within the 0-90 degree range.

How can reference angles help us in solving trigonometric equations?

Reference angles can help us solve trigonometric equations involving angles greater than 90 degrees. By using the reference angle, we can find the exact values of trig functions for these angles and solve the equations.