How can I create a top-to-bottom glow candle with paraffin wax?

• Thread starter Geof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glow
In summary, the conversation is about making a "top to bottom glow" candle from paraffin wax and seeking advice on how to do so. The patent for the candle is provided, along with a suggestion to use translucent candle wax. It is noted that wax in its natural state is already translucent and most additives are designed to make it opaque. The goal is to replicate a translucent, paraffin candle made by a now-defunct company. CWATTERS is suggested as a possible solution and the individual plans to try it over the weekend.
Geof
I am trying to figure out how to make a "top to bottom glow" candle from paraffin wax. Can anyone advise me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's that?

Likes davenn
I would guess you need translucent candle wax. Try googling that. Found..

http://www.letsmakecandles.com/Info_Double_Pour_1201.asp

One important note is that wax in its "natural state" is as translucent as you can get. Most additives are designed to give the wax an opaque finish.

Great input-thank you all. in response to DaveC, I am trying to duplicate a transluscent, paraffin "top to bottom glow" candle that was made by a company named Bull Frog in Charlavoix, Michigan. They have since gone out of business. To Zoobyshoe I am trying to illuminate with paraffin wax only. I know it can be done because I still have one. CWATTERS is the closest yet (I think) to what I am trying to do. I will order the wax and try over the weekend. I appreciate all your help!

Related to How can I create a top-to-bottom glow candle with paraffin wax?

What is a "Top-to-bottom glow candle"?

A "Top-to-bottom glow candle" is a type of candle that has a wick that is coated with a special material that allows the entire candle to glow from top to bottom as it burns. This creates a unique and mesmerizing visual effect.

How does a "Top-to-bottom glow candle" work?

The wick of a "Top-to-bottom glow candle" is coated with a special material, such as phosphorus or phosphorescent pigment, which is activated by the heat of the flame. As the candle burns, the material glows, creating the unique top-to-bottom glow effect.

Are "Top-to-bottom glow candles" safe to use?

Yes, "Top-to-bottom glow candles" are safe to use as long as they are used according to the manufacturer's instructions. However, it is important to never leave a burning candle unattended and to keep it away from flammable objects.

Can "Top-to-bottom glow candles" be scented?

Yes, "Top-to-bottom glow candles" can be scented just like traditional candles. The special coating on the wick does not affect the ability to add scents to the wax, so you can enjoy your favorite scents along with the unique glow effect.

Do "Top-to-bottom glow candles" last longer than traditional candles?

No, "Top-to-bottom glow candles" do not last longer than traditional candles. The special coating on the wick does not affect the burn time of the candle. However, the mesmerizing glow effect may make it seem like the candle is burning longer.