Make Spray Wax with Paraffin & Aerosol Can

• Thread starter Michael Grannis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spray Wax
In summary, Mike is wondering if it is possible to keep paraffin wax in liquid form inside an aerosol can and have it turn into a solid film when sprayed. It is possible to keep the wax liquid as long as the can is warm enough, but it may be difficult to spray due to its viscosity. One solution could be to dissolve it in a solvent such as butane or other common chemicals. Paraffin wax is available as a medical and salon product and is also used as a tire cleaner. Gentle warming is recommended before use.
Michael Grannis
Hello all, my name is Mike and I'm looking to see if it is possible to keep a paraffin wax liquid inside an aerosol can. Then when sprayed out the wax turns to a solid film. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for your time-Mike

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As long as you keep the can warm enough, the paraffin should stay liquid. However, it is quite viscous, so making a spray can be quite difficult.

You could dissolve it in some solvent. Butane and one or more of the more of the usual suspects (hexane, zylene, MEK, acetone, toluene, ect.) should do. What exactly are you spraying this on?

BoB

Spray paraffin wax is available as a medical and salon product . I haven't read all the information but gentle warming seems to be needed before use .

Also sold as one type of tyre cleaner .

Last edited:

Related to Make Spray Wax with Paraffin & Aerosol Can

1. What materials do I need to make spray wax with paraffin and an aerosol can?

To make spray wax with paraffin and an aerosol can, you will need paraffin wax, an empty aerosol can, a double boiler, a stove, and a spray nozzle.

2. How do I melt the paraffin wax for the spray wax?

To melt the paraffin wax, you will need to create a double boiler by filling a pot with water and placing a smaller pot or metal bowl on top. Heat the water on a stove, and place the paraffin wax in the smaller pot or bowl until it melts.

3. Can I add any scents or colors to my homemade spray wax?

Yes, you can add scents or colors to your homemade spray wax by adding a few drops of essential oils or food coloring to the melted paraffin wax before pouring it into the aerosol can.

4. How do I fill the aerosol can with the melted wax?

To fill the aerosol can with the melted wax, carefully pour the wax into the can through the nozzle opening. It is recommended to use a funnel or makeshift funnel to avoid spills.

5. How long does it take for the spray wax to harden and be ready for use?

The spray wax will take about 1-2 hours to harden and be ready for use. It is important to let it cool and solidify completely before using it on any surfaces.