How can I calculate velocity of planet using orbit time?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with calculating the velocity of a planet in an elliptical orbit. They have already successfully calculated the ellipse and have information about the orbit's semi-major and minor axis, period, and the location or time from passing perihelion or aphelion. They are struggling with differentiating the ellipse and are looking for hints, with the hint being to use Kepler's laws.
donggas90
orbit-png.80293.png

Hi. I'm just a hobbier of astronomy and have a question about elliptical orbit.
In Before, I had calculated the elipse of a planet successfully.
In this case, I wonder that can calculate velocity(red vector) using orbit time(or position on elipse).

Let me assume that we know orbit's semi-major, minor axis(properties of black elipse), orbit period
and green dot's location or elapsed time from passing perihelion or aphelion.

I had thought that just differentiate the orbit elipse by time t but differentiate elipse is impossible operation as I know.
so can't catch clue of this problem.

Would anyone give me some hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
HInt: Kepler.

Related to How can I calculate velocity of planet using orbit time?

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a planet using orbit time?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a planet is v = 2πr/T, where v is the velocity in meters per second, r is the distance from the planet to the sun in meters, and T is the orbit time in seconds.

2. How do I determine the distance from the planet to the sun?

The distance from the planet to the sun can be determined using Kepler's Third Law: r^3 = (G*M*T^2)/4π^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2), M is the mass of the sun (1.99 x 10^30 kg), and T is the orbit time in seconds.

3. Can I use this equation to calculate the velocity of any planet?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the velocity of any planet in orbit around the sun, as long as you have the necessary values for r and T.

4. How accurate is this method for calculating the velocity of a planet?

This method is fairly accurate, but it does not take into account factors such as the gravitational influence of other planets or the eccentricity of the planet's orbit. For more precise calculations, a more complex formula or computer simulations may be necessary.

5. Can I use this equation to calculate the velocity of a planet in orbit around a different star?

No, this equation is specifically for calculating the velocity of a planet in orbit around the sun. For planets in orbit around other stars, different equations would need to be used that take into account the mass and distance of the star.