How do I calculate orbital height from orbital velocity?

In summary, the original poster was trying to calculate the orbital velocity needed to launch their rockets and spacecraft from all the planets and moons in the game, but was having trouble calculating the height needed. They found a website that explained how to calculate the orbital velocity using centripetal force and gravitational force, and found that it gets more complicated than just using potential energy.
Bluelogic32
I'm sorry if this isn't astrophysics but I didn't know what else to post on.

So I play this game called Kerbal Space Program, and I've recently been trying to calculate the delta v needed to launch my rockets and spaceships from all the planets and moons in the game. I learned how to calculate the orbital velocity needed to maintain a stable orbit around a body, and how much delta v I need to add my vehicle to account for atmospheric and gravitational drag. I could just use those equations for bodies with atmospheres because I know that scale heights of the atmospheres, so I can guess at what height my orbit will need to be. However for planets without atmospheres, I can't guess at what the height will be for the orbital velocity needed. So my question is how do I calculate the orbital height from my velocity? I should also mention that this is for a circular orbit.

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure if this is astrophysics, if it isn't could you please tell me what it is?

Thanks for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bluelogic32 said:
and how much delta v I need to add my vehicle to account for atmospheric and gravitational drag
That is not easy, and will depend on the launch profile.

I don't understand why you can calculate something with an atmospere, but not in the much easier case of no atmosphere.

For a circular orbit, the velocity is given by the equality of centripetal force mv^2/r and gravitational force mMG/r^2.
deltaV calculations are a bit more tricky, as they involve an elliptical orbit in between. I'm sure there is some online calculator or some page with formulas in the internet.

mfb said:
That is not easy, and will depend on the launch profile.

I don't understand why you can calculate something with an atmospere, but not in the much easier case of no atmosphere.

For a circular orbit, the velocity is given by the equality of centripetal force mv^2/r and gravitational force mMG/r^2.
deltaV calculations are a bit more tricky, as they involve an elliptical orbit in between. I'm sure there is some online calculator or some page with formulas in the internet.
I misunderstood what I was asking, I've got what I was looking for now though. Thank you for your answer.

To Calculate Circular Orbital Velocity, let P.E. at surface = K.E. at orbit. Thus mgh = 1/2 mvv. You see here that mass is not relevant! Thus v = square root of 2gh = approx. 17,500 mph. At this speed centripetal force = centrifugal force!
Note: H = distance from center of Earth to orbit height! or about 4200 miles for a 200 mile orbit. (Since gravity at surface is due to total Earth mass concentrated at a single point of ref, e.g.,the center of Earth's mass)

For moon just adjust H accordingly.

Isn't this less complicated to get the same answer?

Boemmd said:
P.E. at surface = K.E. at orbit
What does the surface have to do with the orbit?

Boemmd said:
To Calculate Circular Orbital Velocity, let P.E. at surface = K.E. at orbit. Thus mgh = 1/2 mvv.

This doesn't look quit right, but more like the orbital velocity at zero altitude above surface.

stedwards said:
This doesn't look quit right, but more like the orbital velocity at zero altitude above surface.
Not even that (the given number looks approximately right but the formula would give sqrt(2) times this value, which corresponds to the escape velocity).

- the potential energy is not mgh in any reasonable system. It is -mgR2/r where R is the radius of Earth (better: the distance where g is evaluated) and r is the distance to the center of Earth. Note: g is not constant. A better formula is -mMG/r with the gravitational constant G and the mass of Earth M. It gets rid of the detour via the radius and g at the surface.
- the necessary kinetic energy for an orbit is not equal to the potential energy (even ignoring the opposite sign) - that would give an escape trajectory. It is equal to minus one half this value.

I closed this thread, the original question has been answered in October 2014.

Related to How do I calculate orbital height from orbital velocity?

1. How do I calculate orbital height from orbital velocity?

To calculate orbital height from orbital velocity, you can use the formula:

h = (G * M * T^2) / (4 * pi^2)

Where h is the orbital height, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and T is the orbital period. First, you will need to convert your velocity from meters per second to meters per hour. Then, plug in the values and solve for h.

2. What is the relationship between orbital height and orbital velocity?

The relationship between orbital height and orbital velocity is inverse. This means that as orbital velocity increases, orbital height decreases, and vice versa. This is because the higher the velocity, the greater the centrifugal force, which balances out the gravitational force and allows the object to maintain its orbit at a lower height.

3. Can I calculate orbital height without knowing the orbital velocity?

Yes, you can calculate orbital height without knowing the orbital velocity. This can be done using the formula:

h = (G * M) / (2 * r)

Where h is the orbital height, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the central body. This formula assumes a circular orbit and can give you an estimate of the orbital height.

4. How does the mass of the central body affect orbital height and velocity?

The mass of the central body has a direct impact on the orbital height and velocity. A higher mass central body will result in a higher orbital velocity and a lower orbital height. This is because the greater gravitational force from a more massive central body requires a higher velocity to balance out the centrifugal force and maintain the orbit.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate orbital height and velocity for all objects in orbit?

No, the formula for calculating orbital height and velocity only works for objects in a circular orbit around a single central body. For objects in elliptical orbits or multiple-body systems, more complex formulas and calculations are needed. Additionally, the formula assumes a perfect, frictionless environment, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios.