Calculate elliptical orbit using attitude and velocity

In summary, it is possible to calculate the orbit from the information you have - this was the first great triumph of classical mechanics more than three centuries ago. You'll find how it's done if you google for "Planetary motion equations" (some math background required - elementary differential equations and comfort with polar coordinates).
donggas90
orbit.png

Hi. I'm just a hobbier of astronomy and have a question about elliptical orbit.
I wonder that can calculate elliptical orbit using just atitude(location) and velocity(vector).

Please look at my picture.
The blue dot is central body and green dot is my interesting body.
Let me assume mass of central body is enough huge to ignore green's gravity.
and assume that there are only those two objects in universe(prevent multi-body problem).
Then we know that the blue dot's mass, gravity and green dot's mass, location and velocity.

I want to get the purple line's length, semi-major axis,
and the orange line's length, semi-minor axis what can calculate from semi-major axis using eccentricity. Finally location of perihelion or aphelion.
Already have seen many questions and answers about calculating orbital speed(scalar) from atitude using vis-viva but velocity(vector).
I think, it's too hard to predict where will be perihelion or aphelion.

How can I solve this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is indeed possible to calculate the orbit from the information you have - This was the first great triumph of classical mechanics more than three centuries ago. You'll find how it's done if you google for "Planetary motion equations" (some math background required - elementary differential equations and comfort with polar coordinates).

Nugatory said:
It is indeed possible to calculate the orbit from the information you have - This was the first great triumph of classical mechanics more than three centuries ago. You'll find how it's done if you google for "Planetary motion equations" (some math background required - elementary differential equations and comfort with polar coordinates).
Thanks for answer.
In additionally, I had been successfully calculated location of planet in a moment using given major axis and eccentricity from this article what you said.
However, cannot apply that topic to this problem. because that topic do not use any velocity but position and aphelion that had been decided.
Can you give me some more hints?

Last edited:
donggas90 said:
Thanks for answer.
In additionally, I had been successfully calculated location of planet in a time using given major axis and eccentricity from this article what you said.
However, cannot apply that topic to this problem. because that topic do not use any velocity but position and aphelion that had been decided.
Can you give me some more hints?

Although this problem was solved some centuries ago, it's by no means trivial. The best advice that I can give you is to get hold of a college-level mechanics textbook (I learned from Kleppner and Kolenkow, but others here will doubtless have their own favorites) and work through the section on central-force motion.

The Wikipedia page on Kepler orbits basically tells how to do this. In particular the part labeled "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler...bit_that_corresponds_to_a_given_initial_state

It fairly easy to calculate the perihelion and aphelion distances if you remember that the orbit has only two constants of the motion, the total energy and the total angular momentum. So if you calculate these two quantities (L , E) for your given initial conditions, they are constant all along the orbit. At perihelion and aphelion, the velocity vector is perpendicular to the radius vector, so at these points the angular momentum L is just m*r*v, and the energy E = m*v^2/2 - G*M*m/r, so given E and L you have two equations in two unknowns to calculate r and v. This gives you the perihelion distance Rp and the aphelion distance Ra, from which you can calculate the semimajor axis a and the eccentricity e.

Likes Nugatory
Nugatory said:
Although this problem was solved some centuries ago, it's by no means trivial. The best advice that I can give you is to get hold of a college-level mechanics textbook (I learned from Kleppner and Kolenkow, but others here will doubtless have their own favorites) and work through the section on central-force motion.
OK, now I got that book. I'll reference that part. Thanks again.

phyzguy said:
The Wikipedia page on Kepler orbits basically tells how to do this. In particular the part labeled "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler...bit_that_corresponds_to_a_given_initial_state

It fairly easy to calculate the perihelion and aphelion distances if you remember that the orbit has only two constants of the motion, the total energy and the total angular momentum. So if you calculate these two quantities (L , E) for your given initial conditions, they are constant all along the orbit. At perihelion and aphelion, the velocity vector is perpendicular to the radius vector, so at these points the angular momentum L is just m*r*v, and the energy E = m*v^2/2 - G*M*m/r, so given E and L you have two equations in two unknowns to calculate r and v. This gives you the perihelion distance Rp and the aphelion distance Ra, from which you can calculate the semimajor axis a and the eccentricity e.
Oh, I just missed about that. Thank you.

phyzguy said:

I already "liked" this reply, but should add that it's a much better answer than mine. The question doesn't require all the machinery of a general orbital solution.

Related to Calculate elliptical orbit using attitude and velocity

1. How do you calculate an elliptical orbit using attitude and velocity?

The calculation of an elliptical orbit using attitude and velocity involves several steps. First, the orbital velocity of the object must be determined using its mass, the gravitational constant, and the distance from the center of the orbit. Next, the angular momentum of the object must be calculated, which is equal to the product of the mass, velocity, and orbital radius. Finally, the eccentricity of the orbit must be calculated using the angular momentum and the semi-major axis of the ellipse.

2. Why is attitude important in calculating an elliptical orbit?

Attitude, or the orientation of the object in space, is important in calculating an elliptical orbit because it affects the direction and magnitude of the object's velocity. Changes in attitude can result in changes in the orbital trajectory, making it necessary to consider this factor in the calculation.

3. How does velocity impact an elliptical orbit?

Velocity is a crucial factor in determining the shape and size of an elliptical orbit. The velocity of an object in orbit must be great enough to counteract the gravitational pull of the central body, but not too great to escape the gravitational field altogether. A change in velocity can also alter the shape of the orbit, making it more circular or more elongated.

4. What is the difference between a circular and an elliptical orbit?

A circular orbit is one in which the object is at a constant distance from the central body, resulting in a circular path. An elliptical orbit, on the other hand, is one in which the distance between the object and the central body varies, resulting in an oval-shaped path. Elliptical orbits also have a higher eccentricity, or elongation, compared to circular orbits.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating elliptical orbits using attitude and velocity?

The calculation of elliptical orbits using attitude and velocity is essential in various fields, including space exploration, satellite communication, and astronomy. It allows scientists to predict and plan the trajectories of objects in space, ensuring the success of missions and avoiding collisions with other objects. It also helps in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and their relationship with gravitational forces.