How Can G/Z(G) Theorem Prove a Group Abelian When |G|=p^2?

In summary, abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures in an abstract and general way. It is important for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems and has practical applications in various fields. The main topics covered in abstract algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. While it can be challenging, it can be mastered with proper study and practice. Some real-world applications include data encryption, coding theory, and modeling real-world phenomena in physics and computer science.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

(1)To prove this I have to let G be a group, with |G|=p^2.
(2)Use the G/Z(G) theorem to show G must be Abelian.
(3) Use the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups to find all the possible isomorphism types for G.

Homework Equations

Z(G) = the center of G (a is an element of G such that ax=xa for all x in G)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove it by using Conjugacy classes and gettting that the order of Z(G) must be non-trival and going on from there, but we have not gotten to Conjugacy Classes yet so i can't use this fact. Can anyone help me on this? I know that |Z(G)|=1 or pq when the order of |G|=pq where p and q are not distinct primes. From there I am unsure on how to uise the G/Z(G) thereom to prove that G is abelian.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. You are correct in thinking that the G/Z(G) theorem can be used to prove that G is abelian. Here is a potential solution:

(1) Let G be a group with |G|=p^2, where p is a prime number.
(2) By the G/Z(G) theorem, we know that G/Z(G) is isomorphic to a subgroup of Aut(G), where Aut(G) is the group of automorphisms of G.
(3) Since |G|=p^2, Aut(G) has order p^2(p-1). This means that G/Z(G) must have order 1 or p.
(4) If G/Z(G) has order 1, then G is abelian, since Z(G) is the entire group in this case.
(5) If G/Z(G) has order p, then G/Z(G) is cyclic, since all subgroups of a cyclic group are also cyclic.
(6) By the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups, we know that a cyclic group of order p has only one isomorphism type, which is isomorphic to Zp.
(7) Therefore, G/Z(G) is isomorphic to Zp, which means that G is abelian.
(8) By the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups again, we know that G is isomorphic to either Zp^2 or Zp x Zp.
(9) Thus, the possible isomorphism types for G are Zp^2 or Zp x Zp.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to clarify any steps. Good luck with your proof!

Related to How Can G/Z(G) Theorem Prove a Group Abelian When |G|=p^2?

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, in an abstract and general way. It studies the properties and relationships between these structures and develops mathematical theories to understand them.

Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems. It also has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, physics, and engineering.

What are the main topics covered in abstract algebra?

The main topics covered in abstract algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. Other topics may include module theory, category theory, and homological algebra.

Is abstract algebra difficult to learn?

Abstract algebra can be challenging, but with proper study and practice, it can be mastered. It requires a strong foundation in algebra and mathematical reasoning, as well as a willingness to think abstractly and creatively.

What are some real-world applications of abstract algebra?

Some real-world applications of abstract algebra include data encryption, coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes in communication systems. It is also used in physics, geometry, and computer science to solve complex problems and model real-world phenomena.