Why does the order of the center of a non-abelian p-group have to be p?

In summary: And what does that tell you about G/Z(G) being cyclic?It means that G/Z(G) is trivial, and therefore G is abelian, which is a contradiction. Therefore, |Z(G)| cannot equal p^2.
MostlyHarmless

Homework Statement

Let G be a non-abelian group with order ##p^3##, p prime. Then show that the order of the center must be p.

Homework Equations

Theorem in our book says that for any p-group the center is non-trivial and it's order is divisible by p.
Class eq.
##|G|= |Z(G)| + \sum{[G : C(x)]}## Where, [G: C(x)] is the number of left cosets of C(x) in G. And ##C(x) := (a\in G | axa^{-1}=x)## is the centralizer. And we are summing over x by taking a single x in each of the non-trivial conjugacy class of G and looking at that centralizer.

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was to do a counting argument, but it felt really weak.

So by the theorem in the book, since G is a p-group we have that Z(G) is non trivial and p | |Z(G)|, and obviously the order of Z(G) is strictly less that G since G is non-abelian. So we get that |Z(G)| must be either ##p## or ##p^2##.

So, for contradiction, suppose that ##|Z(G)|=p^2##. So we have $$p^3= p^2+ \sum{[G : C(x)]}$$ $$p^3-p^2=\sum{[G : C(x)]}$$
From here I apply Lagrange's theorem ##[G:C(x)]=\frac{|G|}{|C(x)|}## and reason that since any centralizer has at the very least, the center of the group, $$\frac{|G|}{|C(x)|}<\frac{p^3}{p^2}=p$$. I further reason that there are ##p^3-p^2## non-central elements, and since a non-trivial conjugacy class has at least 2 elements in it. That there are at most ##\frac{p^3-p^2}{2}## non-trivial conjugacy classes. So the sum$$\sum{[G : C(x)]}<\frac{p^3-p^2}{2}p$$ Giving the inequality:$$p^3-p^2<\frac{p^3-p^2}{2}p$$. Which fails when p=2. Thus a contradiction.

The reason this feels weak, is because it doesn't fail for p=3, or p=5, or any other primes I tried.

A classmate mentioned an argument using the fact that a group mod its center is abelian, but I'm not sure that is true in general. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
MostlyHarmless said:

Homework Statement

Let G be a non-abelian group with order ##p^3##, p prime. Then show that the order of the center must be p.

Homework Equations

Theorem in our book says that for any p-group the center is non-trivial and it's order is divisible by p.
Class eq.
##|G|= |Z(G)| + \sum{[G : C(x)]}## Where, [G: C(x)] is the number of left cosets of C(x) in G. And ##C(x) := (a\in G | axa^{-1}=x)## is the centralizer. And we are summing over x by taking a single x in each of the non-trivial conjugacy class of G and looking at that centralizer.

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was to do a counting argument, but it felt really weak.

So by the theorem in the book, since G is a p-group we have that Z(G) is non trivial and p | |Z(G)|, and obviously the order of Z(G) is strictly less that G since G is non-abelian. So we get that |Z(G)| must be either ##p## or ##p^2##.

So, for contradiction, suppose that ##|Z(G)|=p^2##. So we have $$p^3= p^2+ \sum{[G : C(x)]}$$ $$p^3-p^2=\sum{[G : C(x)]}$$
From here I apply Lagrange's theorem ##[G:C(x)]=\frac{|G|}{|C(x)|}## and reason that since any centralizer has at the very least, the center of the group, $$\frac{|G|}{|C(x)|}<\frac{p^3}{p^2}=p$$. I further reason that there are ##p^3-p^2## non-central elements, and since a non-trivial conjugacy class has at least 2 elements in it. That there are at most ##\frac{p^3-p^2}{2}## non-trivial conjugacy classes. So the sum$$\sum{[G : C(x)]}<\frac{p^3-p^2}{2}p$$ Giving the inequality:$$p^3-p^2<\frac{p^3-p^2}{2}p$$. Which fails when p=2. Thus a contradiction.

The reason this feels weak, is because it doesn't fail for p=3, or p=5, or any other primes I tried.

A classmate mentioned an argument using the fact that a group mod its center is abelian, but I'm not sure that is true in general. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Think about the factor group ##G/Z(G)## when ##|Z(G)|=p^2##. A group mod its center isn't always abelian. But this one is. In fact, it's cyclic. What can you do with that?

Last edited:
Well, if G/Z(G) is cyclic, then its trivial, meaning that G is abelian, which is a contradiction.

How do we know that G/Z(G) is cyclic in this case?

MostlyHarmless said:
Well, if G/Z(G) is cyclic, then its trivial, meaning that G is abelian, which is a contradiction.

How do we know that G/Z(G) is cyclic in this case?

What's the order of ##G/Z(G)##?

Sorry for the delay in response. In this case, G/Z(G) had order p-prime. Thus, it is cyclic.

MostlyHarmless said:
Sorry for the delay in response. In this case, G/Z(G) had order p-prime. Thus, it is cyclic.

Of course.

Related to Why does the order of the center of a non-abelian p-group have to be p?

1. What is the P-group problem in group theory?

The P-group problem in group theory is a well-known open problem in the field of abstract algebra. It asks whether every finite p-group, where p is a prime number, has a non-trivial center. In other words, it seeks to determine whether all elements in a finite p-group commute with each other.

2. Why is the P-group problem important?

The P-group problem has important connections to many other areas of mathematics, including number theory and geometry. It also has practical applications in computer science, particularly in the study of group-based cryptography.

3. What is the current status of the P-group problem?

Despite decades of research, the P-group problem remains unsolved. While it has been proven to be true for certain classes of groups, a general solution has not yet been found. Many mathematicians continue to work on this problem and make progress towards a solution.

4. What are some approaches to solving the P-group problem?

There have been various approaches to tackling the P-group problem, including using techniques from combinatorics, number theory, and topology. Some mathematicians have also attempted to find counterexamples that disprove the problem, while others have focused on developing new methods specifically for this problem.

5. Are there any consequences if the P-group problem is solved?

If the P-group problem is solved, it would have significant implications for the understanding of finite groups and their properties. It could also lead to further developments in other areas of mathematics and potentially have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.