Is the Human Body Mostly Empty Space? Exploring Casimir's Prediction

• Thread starter Inquiring_Mike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary: Originally posted by FZ+ Could the Cassimir force be just the gravitacional force? It would be amazing!No, they ruled out gravity as the cause of the Casimir effect. The effect has all the earmarks of being just what Hendrik Casimir hypothesiszed, a difference in wave pressure from the virtual particles in the vacuum, due to the fact that those outside the plates could have arbitrarily long wave lengths, while those between the plates were limited in wave length by the spacing of the plates. So there were more particles outside than inside, which led to a pressure on the plates. Originally posted by selfAdjoint As for the experiments, I would guess they
Inquiring_Mike
I recently read in a book by Deepak Chopra that the human body is actually 99.9999% empty space... Is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read some Deepak Chopra's books! and you will be agree with me that we can only understand him in a spiritually way...

About the question, all bodies composed by atoms at the universe are 99,9% empty space, because the 99,9% of the volume of an atom is empty (the space between the nucleus and the electrons), so, it's not a special property of the human body...

It's a funny curiosity, I know!...

Hmm... I didn't know that... Interesting...
So, did you like his books? Are they worth while?

Depends on what you mean by empty space of course. With QM, what we think of as "empty" space is far from empty.

Originally posted by Inquiring_Mike
So, did you like his books? Are they worth while?
Well, it depends on what are u looking for... I read the last one many years ago and I found it... funny... but since I have my spirituality satisfied :wink: I have nothing to do with these books...

Originally posted by FZ+
Depends on what you mean by empty space of course. With QM, what we think of as "empty" space is far from empty.

hehehehehehehe :smile: of course! I think we were talking in a classical way...

By the way, I have heard that the results of the two experiments of the Cassimir force had a discrepancy between them of around two magnitude ordes ( ·100, I don't know if those are the words in inglish) You know if it is thru?

and, since the two "plates" were only a few-atoms-size, they couldn't compare it with the gravitacional force...

Could the Cassimir force be just the gravitacional force? It would be amazing!

No, they ruled out gravity as the cause of the Casimir effect. The effect has all the earmarks of being just what Hendrik Casimir hypothesiszed, a difference in wave pressure from the virtual particles in the vacuum, due to the fact that those outside the plates could have arbitrarily long wave lengths, while those between the plates were limited in wave length by the spacing of the plates. So there were more particles outside than inside, which led to a pressure on the plates.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
No, they ruled out gravity as the cause of the Casimir effect. The effect has all the earmarks of being just what Hendrik Casimir hypothesiszed, a difference in wave pressure from the virtual particles in the vacuum, due to the fact that those outside the plates could have arbitrarily long wave lengths, while those between the plates were limited in wave length by the spacing of the plates. So there were more particles outside than inside, which led to a pressure on the plates.
yeah... I know the Casimir effect... and since it doesn't depend on mass is impossible make a relation between gravity... but since they couldn't compare them experimentally, we only have the theory, that is not so developed due to its "youth" and to the less people that has worked on it (if we compare with other physical phenomenas)...

Casimir's prediction goes back to the late 1940s or early 1950s. He based it on the quantum vacuum which was then about 10 years old, or in its early form as the Dirac sea, 20 years old. The QV is based on taking the uncertainty principle seriously, and that goes back to the foundation period of QM in the 1920s.

As for the experiments, I would guess they are abour 20 years old. The Casimir force doesn't come from the edge of quantum mechanics, where it might be seen as shaky, but from the core of QM.

1. Is it true that humans share about 50% of their DNA with bananas?

Yes, it is true! While this may sound surprising, it is a commonly cited fact in the scientific community. Humans and bananas share a lot of similar genetic sequences, as they both belong to the same kingdom (Plantae) and class (Magnoliopsida).

2. Can lightning strike the same place twice?

Yes, it is possible for lightning to strike the same place more than once. In fact, tall structures such as skyscrapers and lightning rods are often struck multiple times during a single storm. However, the chances of lightning striking the exact same spot twice are very low.

3. Is it true that a goldfish's memory only lasts for 3 seconds?

No, this is a popular myth that has been debunked by scientists. Goldfish actually have good memories and can be trained to perform tasks. Their memories can last for months, and they can even recognize different people.

4. Can birds fly backwards?

Yes, some birds are capable of flying backwards. Hummingbirds, for example, can hover in place and fly backwards due to their unique wing structure and flight abilities. However, most birds are not able to fly backwards.

5. Is it true that the Great Wall of China is visible from space?

No, this is a common misconception. While the Great Wall of China is an impressive feat of engineering, it is not visible from space with the naked eye. It is only visible with aid from cameras or binoculars, and even then, only under specific weather conditions.