Is there a way to use the hydrogen in the human body?

In summary, this question is up in the air and would need a lot more research in order to be feasible.
Maximum7
TL;DR Summary
Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future
I recently read that there is enough hydrogen in the human body to lift 195 lbs off the ground. I know this sounds super-silly but if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?

Biology news on Phys.org
Turns out all of that Hydrogen is useful where it is now. My vote would be to leave ALL of my hydrogen alone, regardless of your new Sci-Fi technology.

Likes duvall02, DaveC426913, russ_watters and 3 others
Hydrogen in the form of ions (AKA protons) are deeply involved in cellular energy metabolism.
Without them, you would probably die.

Likes russ_watters and topsquark
The body is ~60% water (H20), so it is probably not a good idea.

Likes russ_watters, topsquark and Bystander
Maximum7 said:
TL;DR Summary: Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future

nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
By what mechanism, or physical phenomenon?

Right now, the hydrogen in our bodies is in the form of water, amino acids (proteins), DNA, RNA, and a host of other organic compounds, e.g., ATP, hemoglobin, . . . .

It would be best to use hydrogen gas outside the body in order to float, as in a hydrogen blimp or balloon, perhaps with some He, or one could construct an ultralight flying suit and a propulsion system.

Likes topsquark
Maximum7 said:
TL;DR Summary: Exploration of a real scientific fact for speculations on the future

I recently read that there is enough hydrogen in the human body to lift 195 lbs off the ground. I know this sounds super-silly but if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
A truly original conception.

Likes russ_watters
Maximum7 said:
if we ever develop nanites; could they manipulate the hydrogen and allow us to float?
Alternatively, get a set of water wings:

1667198509793.png

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Is that what I saw at the end of Logan's Run?

Yea, sorry for that clip. The movie sucks, as I'm sure you could tell.

• Haha
Likes 256bits
DaveE said:
Is that what I saw at the end of Logan's Run?

Yea, sorry for that clip. The movie sucks, as I'm sure you could tell.
I loved that film.

"Using" the hydrogen will be a destructive process - it would annihilate the body in the process of tearing all the molecules apart.

So why stop with just the hydrogen? It seems that the nutritional value of the human body is about 125,000kcals - which is 125 million calories if you burn it.

You could lift a lot more than 195 lbs. - but only once.

Likes 256bits
Maximum7 said:

I absolutely love this question😂 but I don’t think it would be possible in our lifetime or receive enough research into, if we did find a way what would the benefits be?? And even more so what would the negative effects be?

PhysicsInterest said:
And even more so what would the negative effects be?
1674694286161.png

Likes jim mcnamara, 256bits and BillTre
Likes berkeman

1. Can the hydrogen in the human body be used as a source of energy?

Yes, the hydrogen in the human body can be used as a source of energy. It is a key component of the body's energy production process, where it is converted into ATP (adenosine triphosphate) through a series of chemical reactions.

2. How does the body obtain hydrogen?

The body obtains hydrogen through the breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in the food we eat. These molecules contain hydrogen atoms that are released and used in the body's metabolic processes.

3. Is there a way to increase the amount of hydrogen in the body?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the amount of hydrogen in the body. Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can provide the body with more hydrogen. Additionally, certain supplements and therapies, such as hydrogen water or hydrogen inhalation, have been shown to increase hydrogen levels in the body.

4. Can hydrogen in the body be harmful?

In normal amounts, hydrogen in the body is not harmful. However, excessive amounts of hydrogen can cause health problems, such as gas and bloating. It is important to maintain a balance of hydrogen in the body for optimal health.

5. What are the potential benefits of using hydrogen in the human body?

There are several potential benefits of using hydrogen in the human body. It is a key component of energy production, helps regulate pH levels, and has antioxidant properties. Some research also suggests that hydrogen may have anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects.