How a vol. integral becomes a vol. integral plus surface integral

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of integration by parts and the divergence theorem in a specific example involving scalar and vector functions. The author does not understand how integration by parts is used in this case. The other participant explains that the fundamental theorem of calculus can be generalized to higher dimensions, and that the example involves both the divergence theorem and integration by parts. They clarify that the function \psi corresponds to the scalar function 1/|r-r'| and that d^3r' corresponds to dV. The author expresses their understanding and thanks the other participant.
tom8
Hello,

Please see this pdf at some universities website:

http://physics.ucsc.edu/~peter/110A/helmholtz.pdf

In line 14 the author claims using integration by parts...I do not understand
who could the integration by parts be used here.

I understand the general case where we have der(a*b)=a der(b) + b der(a)

but I am not able to see how this happened here..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You use the fact that, for example, for scalar [itex]\psi[/itex] and vector [itex]C[/itex],

[tex]\int \nabla (\psi C) dV = \oint \psi C \cdot dA[/tex]

This is a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus, and it's used even in the 1D case:

[tex]\int_a^b u v' \; dx + \int_a^b u' v \; dx = \int_a^b (uv)' \; dx = uv|_a^b[/tex]

I understand the divergence theorem, but in my example I have two terms on the right, one of which is a surface integral and one is vol. integral. Thus this cannot be div. theorem.

It's the divergence theorem and integration by parts (or the product rule).

[tex]\int \nabla(\psi C) \; dV = \int C \cdot \nabla \psi \; dV + \int \psi \nabla \cdot C \; dV = \oint \psi C \cdot dA[/tex]

Muphrid said:
It's the divergence theorem and integration by parts (or the product rule).

[tex]\int \nabla(\psi C) \; dV = \int C \cdot \nabla \psi \; dV + \int \psi \nabla \cdot C \; dV = \oint \psi C \cdot dA[/tex]

Perfect, can you tell me what do psi corresponds to in my example?

Does correspond only to the rational (1/|r-r'|) or tothe rational and to d3r' ?

[itex]\psi[/itex] is only the scalar function [itex]1/|r-r'|[/itex]. Their [itex]d^3r'[/itex] is [itex]dV[/itex].

Muphrid said:
[itex]\psi[/itex] is only the scalar function [itex]1/|r-r'|[/itex]. Their [itex]d^3r'[/itex] is [itex]dV[/itex].

Now I got it. It is two steps at once, thank you so much !

Related to How a vol. integral becomes a vol. integral plus surface integral

1. How do you define a volume integral?

A volume integral is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the total value of a function over a three-dimensional region.

2. What is the difference between a volume integral and a surface integral?

A volume integral calculates the total value of a function over a three-dimensional region, while a surface integral calculates the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface.

3. How does a volume integral become a volume integral plus surface integral?

A volume integral can become a volume integral plus surface integral when the region over which the integral is being calculated contains a surface. In this case, the surface integral accounts for the contribution of the function over the surface, while the volume integral calculates the contribution over the remaining three-dimensional region.

4. What is the purpose of adding a surface integral to a volume integral?

The purpose of adding a surface integral to a volume integral is to account for the contribution of the function over the surface of the region being integrated. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the total value of the function over the entire region.

5. What are some real-world applications of using a volume integral plus surface integral?

Volume integrals and surface integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as mass, electric charge, and fluid flow rates. For example, in fluid dynamics, a volume integral plus surface integral can be used to calculate the total amount of fluid that passes through a certain region in a given amount of time.