How a Ballistic Pendulum works.

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a lab experiment using a ballistic pendulum. The equation (1/2)(m+M)V2 = (m+M)gh is used to show the principle of conservation of linear momentum, while v = [(m+M)/m]√(2gh) is derived using the principle of conservation of energy. However, the equation does not account for the inelastic collision that occurs in the catcher mechanism. Another equation is needed to fully understand the process.
Nge Zhen Yang
Hello there. Recently I was tasked to design a lab experiment using a ballistic pendulum.
Now I understand that all the sources of the internet say that by principle of conservation of linear momentum,
(1/2)(m+M)V2 = (m+M)gh , or V2 = 2gh
And then using principle of conservation of energy, we can equate the following:
v = [(m+M)/m]√(2gh) , or better, v = [1+(M/m)]√(2gh)

Here is what I do not get, however. For the ballistic pendulum, the catcher is effectively the mechanism that stops the motion of the pendulum, and the collision is definitely inelastic. However, the equation above seems to suggest that energy is entirely conserved (assuming pivot of pendulum is frictionless)
I just cannot wrap my mind around this concept, and would greatly appreciate some enlightening, thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is not for the original capture process, it only describes the pendulum part after the collision happened. Mechanical energy is conserved in this part of the process.
You need another equation for the collision process.

Related to How a Ballistic Pendulum works.

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the speed of a projectile by taking advantage of the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

When a projectile is fired into the hanging pendulum, it gets embedded in the pendulum and causes it to swing to a maximum height. By measuring the maximum height and knowing the mass of the pendulum and the projectile, the initial velocity of the projectile can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum is affected by factors such as air resistance, friction in the pivot point, and the angle at which the projectile is fired. These factors can cause discrepancies between the calculated and actual initial velocity of the projectile.

4. Can a ballistic pendulum be used to measure the speed of any type of projectile?

No, a ballistic pendulum is only suitable for measuring the speed of low-velocity projectiles such as bullets or arrows. High-velocity projectiles can cause damage to the pendulum and affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. What are the real-life applications of a ballistic pendulum?

Ballistic pendulums are commonly used in forensic investigations to determine the speed of bullets fired from firearms. They are also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.