Conservation of linear/angular momentum in a ballistic pendulum

In summary, the conversation involved a problem with a vertical rod, frictionless hanging around the upper end, with a bullet of the same mass and speed fired horizontally at the lowest point and becoming embedded in the rod. The maximum angle was calculated and the relationship between angular momentum and torque was discussed. The conservation of momenta was also considered, with the understanding that any horizontal forces contribute to torque around the pivot point. The application of momentum conservation and the transfer of momentum to the pendulum and bullet were explained.
Quadrat
I did a problem a coule of weeks ago with a vertical rod, frictionless hanging around the upper end, length L and mass m. Then a bullet with the same mass, m speed v is fired horizontally at the lowest point of the rod and becomes embedded in the rod. So I calculated the maximum angle it would make etc.

So I know that I can relate the angular momentum Lmv with the torque I_total*omega. I'm wondering if one can think of the situation as: linear momentum is conserved as angular momentum just before the collision and just after (before any external torque is acting on the system)? Or how can one break down the conservation of momenta in this case? I get that mechanical energy is lost due to heat/sound. But the momentum is not as clear for me. The task is solved, I just wanted some additional questions that arose answered. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I get it now. Since I chose the pivot point as my origin any horizontal forces contributes to any torque around that point and therefore angular momentum is conserved.

When bullet hits the pendumlum,just before and at the moment, momentum conservation is applied for bullet to transfer momentum to pendulum and bullet and at the same time cause the horizontal force to the pendulum and bullet and so the torque for the pendulum and bullet around the pivot. After then is the angular momentum conservation process of pendulum and bullet.

Related to Conservation of linear/angular momentum in a ballistic pendulum

What is the conservation of linear/angular momentum in a ballistic pendulum?

The conservation of linear/angular momentum in a ballistic pendulum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that the combined linear/angular momentum of all objects involved in the system will remain the same before and after a collision or interaction.

How is the conservation of linear/angular momentum applied in a ballistic pendulum?

In a ballistic pendulum, the conservation of linear/angular momentum is applied by measuring the linear/angular momentum of the projectile before and after it collides with the pendulum. By measuring these values, we can calculate the initial velocity and mass of the projectile.

What factors affect the conservation of linear/angular momentum in a ballistic pendulum?

The conservation of linear/angular momentum in a ballistic pendulum is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the projectile, the length and mass of the pendulum, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors can alter the direction and amount of momentum transferred during the collision.

How is the conservation of linear/angular momentum related to other principles in physics?

The conservation of linear/angular momentum is closely related to other principles in physics, such as the law of conservation of energy and the principle of action and reaction. These principles all contribute to the understanding of how objects interact and move in the physical world.

Why is the conservation of linear/angular momentum important in the study of physics?

The conservation of linear/angular momentum is important in the study of physics because it allows us to accurately predict the outcome of collisions and interactions between objects. It also provides a framework for understanding and analyzing the motion of objects in the absence of external forces.