Horizontal Force on a Gate Hinge?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equilibrium of a door attached to a frame by two hinges. The door has a mass of 10.5kg, a width of 1.1m, and the hinges are 0.7m apart. The direction and magnitude of the horizontal force applied to the door by the top hinge is being sought. The conversation also mentions that all forces and torques are balanced, and the center of mass of the door has been factored into an extended free-body diagram. However, the horizontal component forces are still unclear and the conversation is seeking a detailed explanation. The conversation also mentions considering the torque on the bottom hinge when determining the horizontal forces.
SQUIDDO
A door is attached to a frame by two hinges and is at equilibrium. All forces and torques are therefore balanced.

The door has a mass of 10.5kg, a width of 1.1m, and the two hinges are 0.7m apart.
Find the direction and magnitude of the horizontal force applied to the door by the top hinge?

I think I've got the vertical component of the forces sorted. The downward gravitational force on the door must be equal to the upward force provided by the hinges, with each hinge presumably supplying equal force. As for the horizontal forces, I'm at a loss.

I'd appreciate a detailed response so I can answer variations on this question in the future. Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about where the centre of mass of the door is, and think why they wrote "All forces and torques are therefore balanced."

I'm afraid I've already factored the center of mass into an extended free-body diagram and am still left scratching my head.
6AM4N8U.png

I'm just not sure how to derive horizontal component forces from the system.
I understand that upwards force must equal downwards force:

m.g = V1 + V2 where V is the upwards force supplied by each hinge.

But when it comes to the horizontal aspect, I'm at a loss...

Think about the torque on the bottom hinge.

As a scientist, my response would be as follows:

First, let's define the variables we have in this scenario:
- Mass of the door (m) = 10.5kg
- Width of the door (w) = 1.1m
- Distance between hinges (d) = 0.7m
- Gravitational force (Fg) = m x g (where g is the acceleration due to gravity, approximately 9.8m/s^2)

Now, let's consider the forces acting on the door at equilibrium. We have two vertical forces - the weight of the door (Fg) acting downwards, and the reaction force from the hinges (Fr) acting upwards. Since the door is at equilibrium, these two forces must be equal in magnitude.

Therefore, we can say that:
Fg = Fr

Now, let's consider the horizontal forces. Since the door is not moving horizontally, the net force in the horizontal direction must also be zero. This means that the force applied by the top hinge (Ftop) must be equal and opposite to the force applied by the bottom hinge (Fbottom).

Therefore, we can say that:
Ftop = -Fbottom

Now, let's try to find the magnitude of Ftop. To do this, we can use the concept of torque. Torque is the product of a force and the distance from the point of rotation. In this case, the point of rotation is the bottom hinge, and the distance from this point to the top hinge is (d/2).

Using the equation for torque (T = F x d), we can say that:
Ttop = Ftop x (d/2)
And for the bottom hinge:
Tbottom = Fbottom x (d/2)

Since the door is at equilibrium, the total torque must also be zero. This means that:
Ttop + Tbottom = 0
Ftop x (d/2) + Fbottom x (d/2) = 0
Ftop x (d/2) + (-Ftop) x (d/2) = 0
Ftop x (d/2) - Ftop x (d/2) = 0
0 = 0

So, we can see that our initial assumption that Ftop = -Fbottom is correct.

Now, to find the magnitude of Ftop, we can use the equation:
Ftop

Related to Horizontal Force on a Gate Hinge?

1. What is a horizontal force on a gate hinge?

A horizontal force on a gate hinge is a force that is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the hinge, causing the gate to move along a horizontal plane.

2. How does the horizontal force affect the gate hinge?

The horizontal force affects the gate hinge by creating a torque, or rotational force, that causes the gate to either open or close depending on the direction of the force.

3. What factors can affect the amount of horizontal force on a gate hinge?

The amount of horizontal force on a gate hinge can be affected by the weight of the gate, the distance from the hinge to where the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How can I calculate the horizontal force on a gate hinge?

To calculate the horizontal force on a gate hinge, you can use the equation F = r x M, where F is the force, r is the distance from the hinge to where the force is applied, and M is the torque or rotational force.

5. How can I ensure that the horizontal force on a gate hinge is within safe limits?

To ensure that the horizontal force on a gate hinge is within safe limits, you should consider the weight and size of the gate, as well as the strength and quality of the hinge. It is also important to follow any weight and force limitations recommended by the manufacturer.