Calculating Magnitude of Forces on a Door

• Thread starter Daltohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnitude of the supporting forces acting on two vertical hinges holding a door of uniform thickness and homogenous material. The door has a mass of 40 kg, height of 2 m, and width of 0.8 m. The hinges are placed at equal distances from the top and bottom of the door, with a distance of 1.50 m between them. Using the equations M=Fr and G=mg, the component of the weight perpendicular to the point of rotation can be calculated. The solution involves considering the forces acting on the hinges and drawing a diagram to better understand the problem.
Daltohn

Homework Statement

A door of uniform thickness is made out of homogenous material. The door's mass is 40 kg, height 2 m, and width 0.8 m. It is hung on two vertical hinges. The hinges are on equal distance from the top and bottom of the door, and the distance between them is 1.50 m. The door puts equal burden on both hinges. Calculate the magnitude of the supporting forces that act on the hinges.

Homework Equations

M=Fr, G=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I put one of the hinges as a point of rotation, r=0.85 and then I calculate the component of G orthogonal to that, G*cos(61.97...). I guess I'm not sure what force I'm supposed to calculate. And how are you supposed to draw the supporting forces? Because if they act on the point of rotation the system would still rotate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm, got it now.

Well done - a bit frustrating for people who google to your post looking for an answer though.
Perhaps you can give those folk a model answer to your problem as you see it?

Related to Calculating Magnitude of Forces on a Door

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of forces on a door?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of forces on a door is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the door, and a is the acceleration of the door.

2. Can the magnitude of forces on a door change?

Yes, the magnitude of forces on a door can change depending on the weight of the door, the angle at which it is opened, and any external forces acting on the door.

3. How do I determine the direction of the forces on a door?

The direction of the forces on a door can be determined by the direction of the applied force, which is usually perpendicular to the surface of the door at the point of contact.

4. Does the material of the door affect the magnitude of forces?

Yes, the material of the door can affect the magnitude of forces as different materials have different strengths and can withstand different amounts of force.

5. What units are used to measure the magnitude of forces on a door?

The magnitude of forces on a door is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), depending on the unit system being used.