Horizontal Distance For Guy Landing onto a running horse

In summary, the man is 3m high from the saddle on a tree limb. The horse is running at 10m/s. He falls from the horse at 3m/9.8m/s and the answer in the back of the book says he would hit the saddle at 7.82m.
hyde2042

Homework Statement

The man is 3m high from the saddle on a tree limb. The horse is running at 10m/s.

A) What is the horizontal distance necessary for the men to land on the horse

B) How long is he in the air

Homework Equations

I used y/accel to get the amount of time for him to hit the saddle
Then multiplied by V of the horse to get the horizontal distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided 3m/9.8m/s to get the amount of time for him to hit the saddle which was .306

and multiplied by 10m/s to get the distance needed for the horse to be away from the man. So 3.06 meters.

The answer in the back of the book says 45. (a) 7.82 m (b) 0.782 s

I'm not even close so can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
hyde2042 said:

Homework Statement

The man is 3m high from the saddle on a tree limb. The horse is running at 10m/s.

A) What is the horizontal distance necessary for the men to land on the horse

B) How long is he in the air

Homework Equations

I used y/accel to get the amount of time for him to hit the saddle
Then multiplied by V of the horse to get the horizontal distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided 3m/9.8m/s to get the amount of time for him to hit the saddle which was .306

and multiplied by 10m/s to get the distance needed for the horse to be away from the man. So 3.06 meters.

The answer in the back of the book says 45. (a) 7.82 m (b) 0.782 s

I'm not even close so can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Well for a start the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, not a velocity so your time to fall will be wrong

OH my goodness... I knew it wasn't that simple. Thank you for pointing that out to me. Much appreciated.

Related to Horizontal Distance For Guy Landing onto a running horse

1. What is the purpose of measuring the horizontal distance for a guy landing onto a running horse?

The purpose of measuring the horizontal distance is to determine the accuracy and precision of the landing for the rider. It can also help assess the performance of the horse and identify any potential issues with the rider's technique.

2. How is the horizontal distance measured for a guy landing onto a running horse?

The horizontal distance is typically measured using a tape measure or laser rangefinder from the point of takeoff to the point of landing. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas if the speed and trajectory of the horse and rider are known.

3. What factors can affect the horizontal distance for a guy landing onto a running horse?

The horizontal distance can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the horse, the angle and position of the rider's landing, and any external factors such as wind or terrain. The physical capabilities and technique of the rider can also play a role in the distance achieved.

4. How does the horizontal distance impact the rider's performance?

The horizontal distance can impact the rider's performance by reflecting their accuracy and precision in landing onto the horse. A shorter distance may indicate a more controlled and accurate landing, while a longer distance may suggest a less controlled or less accurate landing. It can also be used as a measure of improvement or progress for the rider.

5. Is there an ideal horizontal distance for a guy landing onto a running horse?

There is no specific ideal distance for a guy landing onto a running horse as it can vary depending on the individual rider, horse, and circumstances. However, a shorter distance may generally be preferred as it indicates a more precise and controlled landing. Ultimately, the most important factor is the safety and well-being of both the rider and the horse.