Height and horizontal distance of a projectile

In summary, the problem is to find the height and horizontal distance reached by a projectile with given vertical and horizontal velocities. The homework equations used are V=at+Vo and X=1\2at^2 + Vo + Xo. After some calculations, the vertical height and time are determined to be x=720 and t=12. The next step would be to find the horizontal distance, which can be done by considering the horizontal distance to the highest point or using the equation to find when the vertical height becomes zero again. The student is unsure if the time obtained is for the whole path or just midway. It is important to note if the horizontal velocity changes or remains constant in order to consider the horizontal motion as 1-D
theaman
1. The problem: I need to find the height and horizontal distance reached by a projectile given only the vertical and horizontal velocities. Vv=120m/s Vh= 30m/s this is for an algebra based physics class, I'm very new to this stuff.

Homework Equations

: V=at+Vo
X=1\2at^2 + Vo + Xo [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: I think I was able to figure out the vertical height and time, getting t=12 and height as x=720
but I have no idea where to go from here to find horizontal distance or anything else that would be necessary to finish the problem. Also, we are using 10m/s instead of 9.8m/s for the acceleration caused by gravity. I just need help with what the next step would be to figuring out the rest of the problem, do I just plug the numbers back into the formula in some way? I've just started taking physics, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
theaman said:
X=1\2at^2 + Vo + Xo
X=1\2at^2 + Vo t + Xo
There are two ways you could find the horizontal range. You could consider the horizontal distance to the reach the highest point and use symmetry, or you could use your equation to find when the vertical height becomes zero again.

theaman said:
getting t=12 and height as x=720
This time you have got, is it for the whole path or just midway
You already finished the important part, now, do you think the horizontal velocity would change or remain constant?why? from there you can actually consider the horizontal motion as 1-D.

Related to Height and horizontal distance of a projectile

1. What is the relationship between the height and horizontal distance of a projectile?

The height and horizontal distance of a projectile are both affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. As the initial velocity and launch angle increase, the horizontal distance will also increase while the height will decrease. The acceleration due to gravity will cause the projectile to follow a curved path, resulting in a parabolic trajectory.

2. How does air resistance affect the height and horizontal distance of a projectile?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the height and horizontal distance of a projectile. It can slow down the projectile and decrease its overall range. The effect of air resistance is more prominent for objects with larger surface areas, such as a feather versus a bullet.

3. Can the height and horizontal distance of a projectile be calculated accurately in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, it is challenging to calculate the exact height and horizontal distance of a projectile due to external factors such as air resistance, wind, and uneven terrain. However, with precise measurements and calculations, the values can be estimated with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its height and horizontal distance?

The mass of a projectile does not directly affect its height and horizontal distance. However, a heavier projectile may experience less air resistance and travel further than a lighter one. The mass also plays a role in determining the initial velocity of the projectile, which can impact its trajectory.

5. Is there a maximum height and horizontal distance that a projectile can reach?

In theory, there is no maximum height or horizontal distance that a projectile can reach. However, in real-world scenarios, there are limitations such as air resistance, launch angle, and initial velocity, which can affect the maximum height and distance achievable by a projectile.