A Projectile Launcher (baseball hit at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the initial speed of a baseball player's hit, given that the ball travels 200.0m at a 45° angle and lands at the same height it was hit. The conversation mentions using equations related to projectile motion and finding the initial horizontal and vertical speeds. Eventually, the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad is determined to be the most suitable for solving the problem.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

[/B]
A baseball player hits a ball 200.0m home run. The ball travels at angle of 45° with the horizontal just after being hit. Determine the initial speed. Assume the ball lands the same height it was hit.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to go about this question. I think range is 200m and I know acceleration is 9.8m/s2[down] but that's about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be able to find some relevant equations. Check your course text and notes for equations related to projectile motion.

Ok, when I was initially taught this I was told to make a chart in both the x and y with what you know and do not know.
The setup would be something like this:
______ X _____ Y
a =
vi =
d =
t =
From there try to solve for maybe t using the y-variables (since you don't have that either) and then plugging in t in an equation that will give you Vix.

Brianna I said:
Ok, when I was initially taught this I was told to make a chart in both the x and y with what you know and do not know.
The setup would be something like this:
______ X _____ Y
a =
vi =
d =
t =
From there try to solve for maybe t using the y-variables (since you don't have that either) and then plugging in t in an equation that will give you Vix.
Yes, I did this.

You need to show what you've done before we can help.

gneill said:
You need to show what you've done before we can help.
I have not gotten any of it done because I have no idea which formula to use. All I know is that on my horizontal I have d = 200 m and a = 0. Then for my vertical I have d = 0 and a = 9.8m/s^2(down). I don't have time and all the formulas I was given deal with time which is why I am confused

Veronica_Oles said:
I have not gotten any of it done because I have no idea which formula to use. All I know is that on my horizontal I have d = 200 m and a = 0. Then for my vertical I have d = 0 and a = 9.8m/s^2(down). I don't have time and all the formulas I was given deal with time which is why I am confused

For motion under constant acceleration, there are five standard variables (usually known as SUVAT, s for displacement, u for initial speed, v for final speed, a for acceleration, t for time). There are correspondingly five equations. Each equation omits one of the five variables. Are you familiar with these?

haruspex said:
For motion under constant acceleration, there are five standard variables (usually known as SUVAT, s for displacement, u for initial speed, v for final speed, a for acceleration, t for time). There are correspondingly five equations. Each equation omits one of the five variables. Are you familiar with these?
Yes I know those.

Veronica_Oles said:
Yes I know those.
Since you do not care about time, pick one that does not involve time.

haruspex said:
haruspex said:
The only one I see that doesn't involve time is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

Veronica_Oles said:
The only one I see that doesn't involve time is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. You do care about time, but you have to start with the horizontal direction. If it is hit with speed v, how long to reach ythat distance?

haruspex said:
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. You do care about time, but you have to start with the horizontal direction. If it is hit with speed v, how long to reach ythat distance?
T= 200/ViCos 45 ??!

Veronica_Oles said:
T= 200/ViCos 45 ??!
Yes.

still confusing me

Simon Dobbs said:
still confusing me
What is the initial vertical speed? How long before it lands?

Veronica_Oles said:
A baseball player hits a ball 200.0m home run. The ball travels at angle of 45° with the horizontal just after being hit. Determine the initial speed. Assume the ball lands the same height it was hit.
if u is the initial velocity at an angle θ with the horizontal
horizontal distance covered in time t ucosθt=R(range)...(1)
for time t/2 , vertical motion leads to usinθ=gt/2 ,hence t becomes 2usinθ/g
Putting t in (1) leads to
u2sin2θ/g=R
from which u can be determined ,θ and R is given

Likes nikilKRP

Related to A Projectile Launcher (baseball hit at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal)

1. What is a projectile launcher?

A projectile launcher is a device used to launch objects in a particular direction and at a specific angle. It is commonly used for experiments in physics to study the motion of objects.

2. How does a projectile launcher work?

A projectile launcher works by using a spring or compressed air to create a force that propels an object forward. The angle of the launcher can be adjusted to change the trajectory of the object.

3. What is the optimal angle for launching a baseball at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal?

The optimal angle for launching a baseball at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal would be 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum distance and height to be achieved, as well as a balanced trajectory.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a baseball launched at a 45 degree angle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a baseball launched at a 45 degree angle. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down and potentially change its trajectory.

5. What other factors can affect the trajectory of a baseball launched at a 45 degree angle?

Other factors that can affect the trajectory of a baseball launched at a 45 degree angle include the initial velocity, the mass and size of the ball, and external forces such as wind or air resistance. The surface on which the ball lands can also impact its trajectory.