Holiday trip for physics student

In summary, Königsberg is a city in Eastern Germany that is home to a major Russian naval base. It is possible to visit the city as a tourist, although it is probably best to avoid visiting Chernobyl, which is located nearby.
fcoulomb
Hi everyone, do you know a trip/educational trip to do in summer for a 1st year undergraduate student in Physics (in Europe)?
I've heard about CERN summer students' school, but I think it' s alittoe bit too advanced for my knowledge of the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
As so often, it depends. Historical sites would be Pisa, Cambridge, Greenwich, Königsberg, Torun and many more. In Munich they have an interesting technique museum "Deutsches Museum" where many physical and technical installations can be found: from a giant Foucault pendulum to a model of a coal mine etc etc. The Canary Islands themselves are a giant geophysics lab and there is also a big observatory on Tenerife. Perhaps you can even visit VIRGO in Italy. I've even been in the training module of the MIR, which has been shown in an amusement park. So make your choice: places to experience physics, places where history took place, or places to watch.

Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
Königsberg
I think Mr. Putin would prefer that you call it Kaliningrad. :rolleyes:

Is it even possible to visit there easily as a normal tourist, given that it's the home of a major Russian naval base? When I was in high school c. 1970, I read an article in Stern magazine titled "Das Verbotene Land", written by a (West) German journalist who managed to slip into then-Soviet Kaliningrad via a car trip with friends from Lithuania. If the authorities had caught him, he would have been in big trouble.

jtbell said:
I think Mr. Putin would prefer that you call it Kaliningrad.
I actually wanted to. But as I usually don't know the English names of cities, I looked it up on Wikipedia and found:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königsberg

I don't think it is a problem today. At least tv teams are regularly there, so I'd wonder if this wasn't the case for tourists.

I have forgotten to mention Chernobyl, for all who like it creepy :cool:

Last edited:

Related to Holiday trip for physics student

What is a holiday trip for physics student?

A holiday trip for physics student is a trip that is designed for students who are interested in physics. It typically involves visiting places that have historical or scientific significance in the field of physics, and participating in educational activities such as lectures, workshops, and experiments.

What are the benefits of going on a holiday trip for physics student?

Going on a holiday trip for physics student allows students to gain a deeper understanding of physics concepts through hands-on experiences and interactions with experts in the field. It also provides an opportunity for students to network with other physics enthusiasts and potentially discover new areas of interest.

Who can go on a holiday trip for physics student?

A holiday trip for physics student is typically open to high school or college students who have a strong interest in physics. Some programs may have specific eligibility requirements, such as a minimum GPA or enrollment in a related course.

What are some popular destinations for a holiday trip for physics student?

Some popular destinations for a holiday trip for physics student include CERN in Switzerland, the European Space Agency in Germany, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in the United States. Other options may include famous universities or research facilities known for their contributions to the field of physics.

How can I find and participate in a holiday trip for physics student?

You can search for holiday trips for physics students online or through your school's physics department. Many programs have application processes and deadlines, so be sure to plan ahead and gather all necessary information and materials. Additionally, some programs may offer scholarships or financial aid for students who need assistance covering the costs of the trip.