Hoffman/Kunze VS Lang's Linear Algebra series

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to learn Linear Algebra in a rigorous and expansive form, and their consideration of two books - Hoffman/Kunze's Linear Algebra and Lang's Introduction to Linear Algebra and its second book on the subject. The speaker notes that they prefer Hoffman/Kunze's approach of defining matrices as a function rather than an array, and asks if Lang's books are equally rigorous. The speaker also shares a link to a free book on Linear Algebra, but notes that its quality may be lower due to its cost.
SrVishi
Hi, I want to learn Linear Algebra in its most rigorous and expansive form. I have narrowed down to two books (well, one is a series). On one hand, I want to try Linear Algebra by Hoffman/Kunze, but my school's library has Lang's Introduction to Linear Algebra, and his second book on the subject, so I have them available for free. Is there anything I would be missing by choosing Lang's series over Hoffman and Kunze? I glimpsed through a microscopic preview of Hoffman/Kunze and I like how they rigorously defined the concept of a matrix as a function from a double indexing set into a field rather than a magical array of elements of a field. So, is Lang's books (at least his second one) as rigorous as Hoffman/Kunze. This was typed in a rush so please bear with me. Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
here is my free book: (you get what you pay for)

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/4050sum08.pdf

Related to Hoffman/Kunze VS Lang's Linear Algebra series

1. What is the difference between Hoffman/Kunze and Lang's Linear Algebra series?

The main difference between these two linear algebra series is the level of rigor and depth they cover. Hoffman/Kunze is known for its more advanced and abstract approach, while Lang's series is more accessible and user-friendly for beginners.

2. Which series is better for self-study?

This really depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. For those with a strong foundation in mathematics and a desire for a more in-depth understanding, Hoffman/Kunze may be a better choice. However, for those new to linear algebra or looking for a more intuitive and practical approach, Lang's series may be more suitable.

3. Do both series cover the same topics?

Yes, both Hoffman/Kunze and Lang's series cover the fundamental concepts of linear algebra, such as vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations. However, the order and level of detail in which these topics are presented may differ between the two series.

4. Which series is more commonly used in universities?

Hoffman/Kunze is more commonly used in universities, particularly for graduate-level courses. This is due to its more rigorous and abstract approach, which is better suited for advanced students pursuing a deeper understanding of linear algebra.

5. Can both series be used as textbooks?

Yes, both Hoffman/Kunze and Lang's series were designed to be used as textbooks in linear algebra courses. However, as mentioned before, the level and style of the material may be more suitable for certain students and courses than others.