Seeking Recommendation on Linear Algebra Textbooks

In summary, the college sophomore is seeking recommendations for one or two outstanding linear algebra textbooks to supplement their theoretical linear algebra course using Friedberg as the required textbook. They are considering books such as Hoffman/Kunze, Axler, Serge Lang, and Anton, but are unsure of their contents. They have already purchased Hoffman/Kunze at a discounted price and plan to use it as a supplementary reading alongside Friedberg. They are also considering advanced and applied/computational linear algebra texts, such as Roman's, but are wondering if they will be at a disadvantage for skipping Axler and Treil.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I am a college sophomore in U.S. with a major in mathematics and an aspiring algebraic number theorist. I wrote this email to seek a recommendation on one or two outstanding linear algebra textbook that can supplement the Linear Algebra (Friedberg et al.), which is a required textbook for my theoretical linear algebra course for Fall 2015. I always enjoy studying from multiple textbooks so it would be nice for me to purchase one or two more LA books to supplement my main textbook. Ones that I currently have in mind are Hoffman/Kunze, Axler, Serge Lang, Anton, etc. but I am clueless of their contents. Could you recommend one or two LA textbooks that I can use in accordance with Friedberg?

PK

Physics news on Phys.org
While you're waiting for responses, you might try using the forum search feature (top right of the page) to search for the word "linear", ticking the boxes "Search titles only" and "Search this forum only". I've moved this thread to the textbooks forum, so most of the search results will be about linear algebra textbooks. Good luck!

I would recommend Sergei Treil's "Linear Algebra Done Wrong" which you can find in full here free of charge in pdf format. It is quite rigorous and thorough, and according to some knowledgeable members of this forum contains everything you need to know about the topic. I am self-studying from it myself and can personally vouch for its quality.

Likes Fredrik
Anton Txt is wordy, hand wavy, and sometimes the examples are not fully worked. I would advice against. There is a pdf of anton floating around the web. You can download it to see if you like it.

I am considering one from Hoffman/Kunze, Lang, and Axler to supplement Friedberg. I taken a look at Anton and Treil, but I honestly did not like them much...

Some more books for you to consider:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486780554/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This one should be more or less equivalent to Friedberg, it looks decent to me. If you're considering Axler, this one looks to be a good substitute.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWR4Y9M/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This one is in the old style which I like. It should be good if only because it is constructive rather than axiomatic.

---------------------------

Something different now. Looking at Amazon's Hoffman & Kunze reviews, I see the following in one of the reviews:

One problem that I see with this book is that it focuses a little too much on matrix representation of everything. While matrices certainly do have their uses in computations, it is quite possible for students to learn to rely so much on matrices that they are unable/uncomfortable with the properties that linear transformations have in of themselves.

I don't know this book but I have to object most strongly to this claim. Probably I should give reasons why but there is this thing called the burden of proof: if one makes a ridiculous claim, it is for the claimant to back it up or substantiate it. In this case, the ridiculous claim is that knowing too much about matrices is bad. I simply reject that out of hand.

This actually makes me think Hoffman & Kunze would be a good choice. I think I would choose it out of your three listed options.

Last edited by a moderator:
bacte2013 said:
I am considering one from Hoffman/Kunze, Lang, and Axler to supplement Friedberg. I taken a look at Anton and Treil, but I honestly did not like them much...
Since you're looking for a supplement rather than something to teach you stuff you've never seen before, I think Axler is a very good choice. But I think any of these books will do. I like Treil the best myself. It's certainly the cheapest. If you choose Axler, I still recommend that you read the stuff on determinants in Treil.

I think Anton is brilliant in many ways. That book makes almost everything easy to understand. If there's a proof you don't understand in one of the other books, you will probably understand the proof in Anton. But I still don't like the book, because I find it absurd to introduce linear transformations so late in the game (several hundred pages into the book).

Thank you very much for all of your advices! I actually bought Hoffman/Kunze as it was sold in special discount and I bought the brand-new U.S. Edition by $55.00! my plan is to read Friedberg as a main text and Hoffman as a supplementary reading (different insights, more quantities of theoretical problem sets, etc.) and then proceed to the applied/computational LA texts and the advanced LA texts (Roman). Will I be in a disadvantageous position by skipping Axler and Treil?

Related to Seeking Recommendation on Linear Algebra Textbooks

1. What are the key topics covered in a good linear algebra textbook?

A good linear algebra textbook should cover topics such as vector spaces, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of linear algebra. It should also include exercises and examples to reinforce key concepts.

2. Is there a specific textbook that you would recommend for beginners?

One textbook that is often recommended for beginners is "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. It is known for its clear explanations and use of real-world examples to demonstrate concepts.

3. Are there any free online resources for learning linear algebra?

Yes, there are several free online resources for learning linear algebra, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These resources offer video lectures, practice exercises, and quizzes to help with learning the subject.

4. Can you suggest a linear algebra textbook for advanced learners?

A popular textbook for advanced learners is "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. It covers more advanced topics such as multilinear algebra and spectral theory, and is known for its rigorous approach to the subject.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand linear algebra?

While a strong mathematical background can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand linear algebra. Many textbooks provide a review of necessary mathematical concepts and the subject can be learned with practice and dedication.