Hillary Clinton Running for President

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, Hillary Clinton has announced her bid for the White House, and Twitter is the closest she's ever gotten to astroturf, either cyber-astroturf or hubby's.
StevieTNZ
Physics news on Phys.org
Really? She's running for President? Who knew!

LOL Twitter is the closest she's ever gotten to astroturf, either cyber-astroturf or hubby's.

Doug Huffman said:
LOL Twitter is the closest she's ever gotten to astroturf, either cyber-astroturf or hubby's.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Likes Chestermiller, Digitalism, epenguin and 1 other person
A meaning of astroturf is a claque posing as a grassroots movement or clique. Another is artificial grass used on American football grounds and that her hubby bragged was in the bed of his El Camino 'pick-up' truck.

Doug Huffman said:
A meaning of astroturf is a claque posing as a grassroots movement or clique. Another is artificial grass used on American football grounds and that her hubby bragged was in the bed of his El Camino 'pick-up' truck.
So, that she is not associated with astroturf is a positive for her. Ok, I agree, I like her and hope she wins, I can't think of anyone that is as qualified as she is.

Likes phinds
You mistake me. Her use of Twitter instead of the mainstream media is an attempt to avoid media scrutiny. There's not much in 140 characters to scrutinize.

Her past performance in elected positions, appointed positions and unappointed positions precludes my approval.

Likes montoyas7940
I think the race is hers to lose. Perhaps Jeb will give her a race...we'll see.

My prediction: I'm going to be sick and tired of hearing about Benghazie. Although it's slightly amusing to watch right-wingers get apoplectic about it o0).

It's unlikely Hillary is behind the wheel: She said last year that she hadn't driven a car since 1996
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ey-rural-Iowa-VAN-poses-pics-gas-station.html

As central to stereotypical American life as is the automobile and automobile travel, that might be a serious lack.

Perhaps the identification of the apoplectic, about the 2012 Benghazi attack, should be military veterans that have stood in harm's way, rather than the poorly focused "right wingers." I am a Viet Nam Era veteran and I am very concerned by the debacle. I like to post this as my memorial to Ambassador Christopher Stevens, A Song of Peace to the melody of the tone poem from Sibelius' Finlandia

http://www.art101.com/peace/peace.mp3

Last edited:
Likes exmarine
Don't forget that Sec Clinton is also a combat veteran of sorts, according to Sec Clinton, having "landed under sniper fire".

Likes exmarine, Czcibor and gfd43tg
Doug Huffman said:
As central to stereotypical American life as is the automobile and automobile travel, that might be a serious lack.

Quite true. Someone mentioned a while back, regarding the appointment of the new energy secretary:

jim hardy said:
2/5/2013
...We need politicians who change their own motor oil.

old jim

:biggrin:

My comment will likely go far afield of OPie's intentions. A close paraphrase of Aristotle (Politics 4 ) is "It is accepted as democratic when public offices are allocated by lot; and as oligarchic when they are filled by election." A candidate seeking office must be viewed with deep suspicion.

Doug Huffman said:
Man, talk about Back to the Future! Look out! Here come the Nineties again! :eek: :wink: :rolleyes: o_O ?:) :sorry:

It's like national politics is stuck in one of those endless loops, like on Groundhog Day or the Twilight Zone, or maybe even Twilight (the one with the vampires.)
[Look out! She's Undead!]

If it's Tuesday, it must be Clinton. If it's an even numbered date, it's a Bush (pick one).

It's time for someone (anyone) else.

There is a website called "skeletons in the closet" that dig into the presidential candidates backgrounds. Sadly most of them wouldn't be good enough to be elected dog catcher, but they manage to become front runners.

Sadly, most of us will vote for the candidate who claims to be the best for us vs looking at their record or history of How They Have Voted.

I worked in Newt Ginrich's district when he was in the house. How he became a front runner (even for a short time) speaks volumes of the smarts on the right.

I used to be ticked off about GW's stealing the presidency from Al Gore. Until I learned more about good old Al Gore. Now I suspect Al probably wouldn't have done better (and we ALL know how well GW did).

As American's we get to select from the two parties most extremist, bestest, butt kisser to choose from. Does that help anyone feel better??

Likes Greg Bernhardt
CalcNerd said:
As American's we get to select from the two parties most extremist, bestest, butt kisser to choose from. Does that help anyone feel better??
I've always felt that elections were lose-lose. I pick the best of the worst. Anyone who actually zealously supports a candidate is foolish imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no effective difference. The two party system is good-cop-bad-cop on the world stage, guaranteed to elect a weasel. The Ruling Parties are all progressives suffering from the incontinent need to make-things-better by burying US in mountains of legislation and never rescinding any of it.

Edit: Removed inappropriate link.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a problem with the forum... or something...
Evo said:
Evo did not post that...
CalcNerd said:

I've seen that misdirect on several other posts, too...Astroturfing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Last edited:
CalcNerd said:
OCR said:
There is a problem with the forum... or something...

Evo did not post that...I've seen that misdirect on several other posts, too...
Thanks, I corrected Greg's post, weird.

Doug Huffman said:
It's unlikely Hillary is behind the wheel: She said last year that she hadn't driven a car since 1996
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ey-rural-Iowa-VAN-poses-pics-gas-station.html

This makes no sense to me. While it's important to be connected to mainstream America, how does one's driving pattern pertain to that? Why would a candidate's driving count as qualification criteria? This is an example of "fluff" and folks, we're going to be seeing an awful lot of fluff for the next few years. The media loves that stuff!

Perhaps the identification of the apoplectic, about the 2012 Benghazi attack, should be military veterans that have stood in harm's way, rather than the poorly focused "right wingers." I am a Viet Nam Era veteran and I am very concerned by the debacle.
I have close family members who worked for the State Department, as professionals. Being posted in areas of unrest isn't for the weak of heart. It can be, erm, spooky - if you get my drift.

Have you read the Benghazi Report?

https://intelligence.house.gov/sites/intelligence.house.gov/files/documents/Benghazi%20Report.pdf

Likes OmCheeto
lisab said:
This makes no sense to me. While it's important to be connected to mainstream America, how does one's driving pattern pertain to that? Why would a candidate's driving count as qualification criteria? This is an example of "fluff" and folks, we're going to be seeing an awful lot of fluff for the next few years. The media loves that stuff!
Indeed. Bush Sr. made a comment on supermarket checkout scanners that got mis-reported in the media and grew temendous legs about him being out of touch. Hillary's been in herself or married to a guy who was in high political office for 20 years, and having drivers and security with you 24-7 goes with that. Not a big deal.

Likes lisab
Evo said:
... I can't think of anyone that is as qualified as she is.
"Qualified" is a funny thing. Used to be that the most important qualification was head of an executive branch experience, which is why so many governors became President. But Obama's lack of experience was actually a selling point for him and Hillary has only slightly more actual government job experience than he did - so is that good or bad? If she needs to (I don't think she does - she's Hillary), I'm not sure how well she can sell 'I was married to a President and another President gave me a job to get me out of the way' as being convincingly "qualified".

russ_watters said:
"Qualified" is a funny thing.
I can't imagine Walker or Rubio could be successful at foreign policy. That is Clinton's strength. Jeb seems like he knows something, but having 3 Bush presidents is just depressing.

russ_watters said:
"Qualified" is a funny thing. Used to be that the most important qualification was head of an executive branch experience, which is why so many governors became President. But Obama's lack of experience was actually a selling point for him and Hillary has only slightly more actual government job experience than he did - so is that good or bad? If she needs to (I don't think she does - she's Hillary), I'm not sure how well she can sell 'I was married to a President and another President gave me a job to get me out of the way' as being convincingly "qualified".
Ok I agree, so more experience with International affairs, knows world leaders, been on the inside of what a president deals with. She won't have the learning curve and surprises that others will have. Of course those may be the very things some people hold against her. Ultimately I will go with the candidate I think can do the best. I have voted Republican several times, democratic actually less. I don't vote with a party.

Likes WWGD, Astronuc and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
That is Clinton's strength. [foreign policy]
She certainly has some experience, but I don't think republicans and independents will agree that it is good experience. Experience is only a positive if people like the things you did when you got that experience!

Other than getting Bin Laden and implementing an afghan surge despite opposing Bush's Iraq surge (both were quite a while ago), are there any significant foreign policy wins for Obama/Clinton? Is the world a safer/better place than it was 6 years ago?

Yes, I'm aware that traditionally democrats have been seen as weak on foreign policy, so it should be good to get that on her resume, but I'm not sure that just getting her ticket punched is enough if the result of the experience doesn't look good.
I've always felt that elections were lose-lose. I pick the best of the worst. Anyone who actually zealously supports a candidate is foolish imo.
I think that's a problem for democrats. Obama won largely because people zealously supported him, and he rode that wave. It's the republicans who win races between boring, old white guys. If Hillary wins it will be because she's Hillary -- a cult-of-personality, not a random/stock candidate (which the Republicans typicall put up). But if she loses, it will probably be because that cult-of-personality isn't fully positive as Obama's was - a lot of people hate her.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
She certainly has some experience, but I don't think republicans and independents will agree that it is good experience. Experience is only a positive if people like the things you did when you got that experience!

A different way to think about this is whether this experience will cause people who wouldn't otherwise vote for her to change their minds. I don't think many will, partly because, as you say "are we better off than we were 6 years ago", but more because foreign policy is not typically a swing issue. People who follow it closely enough to even have an opinion have likely made up their minds on other things.

russ_watters said:
But if she loses, it will probably be because that cult-of-personality isn't fully positive as Obama's was - a lot of people hate her.
True, many people voted for Obama because he was more likable and wanted to make history. Clinton can make history, but needs to be likable. That is a problem for her. For me, I still have trouble getting over that news interview with Bill where they blatantly lied to our faces for an hour about Bill's affairs.

mheslep said:
Don't forget that Sec Clinton is also a combat veteran of sorts, according to Sec Clinton, having "landed under sniper fire".
Yeah, I guess Brian Williams is a combat veteran too!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can't imagine Walker or Rubio could be successful at foreign policy. That is Clinton's strength. Jeb seems like he knows something, but having 3 Bush presidents is just depressing.
Governor Clinton,Governor Reagan had successful foreign policies. Why not Governor Walker, Senator Rubio (who is fluent in Spanish)

It could be worse...Joe Biden is out there.

An office holder need not be the most intelligent of the candidates but if they know how to hire the right advisers who are the best in there field it works just as well.

Quality is also in the eye of the beholder. To me one of the critical issues is honesty and honesty or the lack thereof has made or broken many a person. There are many today who care more for a political group than they do about the welfare of the nation and I believe this to be a mistake as general speaking an individual's welfare is based on the nations.

Respectfully,
Hagar

No one questions the moral integrity of Jimmy Carter (I kind of think pompous myself). Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter were on opposite extremes for honesty and integrity. Who was the better president?

George W. surrounded himself with more competent people than himself. How well did that turn out?

Sadly, I kind of think that if a candidate doesn't sell out to some special interest, NO ONE (corporate American companies) will back him nor will they want THAT candidate in office. If he doesn't have a price and he's not for sale, NO ONE WILL Buy! The squeaky clean candidate never gets very far in our election type system.

Some candidates may not have a price tag (Mitt Romney comes to mind). But since he already represented a big portion of Corporate America, he was OK to run. But he was an exception, most candidates are beholden to one or more groups.

I'm afraid that I knew very little about Hillary, so I read the wikipedia article about her, focusing mainly on her time as Secretary of State.
I can't really find fault with her.

lisab said:
...This is an example of "fluff" and folks, we're going to be seeing an awful lot of fluff for the next few years. The media loves that stuff!

Which is why I still hate the media. :devil:

I think neither one, honesty or competent people will work alone and they must be utilized properly.

Carter may have been honest and I do not remember who he relied on as advisers but his decision making left much to be desired and theirs as well if he did use them. and Bill Clinton needs no clarification nor does his wife. If God loved liars they would drop dead. (Please pardon my reference to a deity.)

If most politicians had moral values (Harry Reid comes to mind) they would not know whether one baked or fried them.

G.W.B. May have had knowledgeable advisers (which I doubt) but if so he did not avail himself of there use. I have no problem with removing Sadam as at the time most countries thought he did have W.M.D. or at the least was trying to procure them but you cannot disband an army of a half million men and just dump them on the economy or lack there of with no way to support themselves or there families.

Our election system is hampered by the requirement of to much money needed to be electable and it is becoming worse daily.

All corp. America is not bad, after all they do supply many jobs and as most things if not left to run amok can be acceptable.

I shall cease and desist now as my comments have wondered more into the Fantasy forum than current events.

Respectfully,

Hagar

Likes OmCheeto
Doug Huffman said:
There is no effective difference. The two party system is good-cop-bad-cop on the world stage, guaranteed to elect a weasel. The Ruling Parties are all progressives suffering from the incontinent need to make-things-better by burying US in mountains of legislation and never rescinding any of it.

Edit: Removed inappropriate link.

I respectfully disagree completely with your characterization. If anything, I feel that both the Democratic and Republican parties have become "conservative" (not true conservative, but corporatist) parties serving the narrow interests of special interests who, as donors, provide the funding for election campaigns of politicians seeking federal office.

In fact, two of the problems that exist for democracy in the United States are the following:

(1) The negative, corrupting influence of money in politics (worsened by the Supreme Court decision on Citizens United, which had the effect of rescinding existing restrictions on campaign finance limits

and

(2) The lack of choice available in terms of the ballot -- 2 political parties who have become increasingly radicalized on cultural matters (while in other matters become increasingly beholden to special interests) have a complete monopoly on political office.

To address the first, there is a grassroots campaign, led by the group Wolf-PAC, that is gaining momentum to bring about a constitutional amendment to ban money in political campaigns, by having state legislatures approve a law calling for that constitutional amendment, since according to the US Constitution, an amendment can be made in 2 ways: (1) passing an amendment in both the House and Senate by 2/3rds, and then having 2/3rd of different states approve the amendment, or (2) having 2/3rds of states pass a law calling for the amendment.

Here is a website for Wolf-PAC:

http://www.wolf-pac.com

(moderators: please let me know if I am allowed to include the link above).

Likes CalcNerd