High school senior looking to get some minor summer research experience.

In summary, a high school student is looking to do undergraduate research as a way to pay for college. They are interested in doing any grunt work that may be necessary, but are worried about how it would be seen. They think it would be okay to say grunt work in an email.
Darth Frodo
Hi all. I'm a high school senior. After a lot of reading through this forum I have noticed that a lot of people do undergrad research. This is a completely new idea for me. I was always under the impression that research starts at grad school at the earliest. I've even noticed some high school students asking for a position.

I would like to try this. I'm lucky that there is a university only 30 mins from where I live. Anyway 2 years ago I went on a week of work placement there. It was very enjoyable and I became relatively friendly with my mentor who was a technical assistant who was working on his masters.

I would be willing to do the grunt work. Whatever it consists of whether it be getting the coffee, typing e-mails or staring at a thermometer for an hour.

I am fairly competent in physics and I am taking an extra subject in high school equivalent to freshman classical mechanics.

The only problem is I need money to pay for college. Would it be very audacious of me to ask for money?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, expect him to say "no".

For him to give you money means you have to somehow go on the university payroll. The university will then turn around and ask him questions like "Can't someone who is already employed do this?" and "Can't an undergraduate do this?" and maybe even "Why wasn't this in your grant proposal anyway?"

If you are under 18, expect even more questions.

Ah that's a pity. Oh well it really was a shot in the dark.
Would you think any industrial companies would be willing to hire someone for any of the grunt work?
Also would it be seen negatively if I said grunt work in an email?

Related to High school senior looking to get some minor summer research experience.

What is summer research experience?

Summer research experience refers to opportunities for high school students to gain hands-on experience in a scientific research setting during the summer months. This can involve working on a specific project under the guidance of a mentor, attending workshops and seminars, and participating in other activities related to the field of research.

Why is summer research experience important for high school seniors?

Summer research experience can provide high school seniors with valuable skills and knowledge that can help them in their future academic and professional pursuits. It allows them to explore their interests in a particular field, gain experience working in a research setting, and potentially make connections with professionals in the field.

How can a high school senior find summer research opportunities?

There are several ways for a high school senior to find summer research opportunities. They can search for programs at local universities, reach out to professors or researchers in their area of interest, or apply for programs through organizations such as the National Science Foundation or the National Institutes of Health. It is also helpful to network with teachers, counselors, and other professionals who may know of potential opportunities.

What are the benefits of participating in summer research experience?

Participating in summer research experience can provide numerous benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in a research setting, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, learning new techniques and technologies, and potentially earning recommendation letters for college or future job applications.

Are there any prerequisites for participating in summer research experience?

Some summer research programs may have specific requirements or prerequisites, such as a minimum GPA or coursework in a particular subject. However, there are also programs available for students with little to no prior research experience. It is important for high school seniors to carefully review the requirements and qualifications for each program they are interested in to determine if they are eligible to apply.