High school research suggestions

In summary, the speaker is a high school junior who has been doing an internship at Fermilab where they coded an nbody simulation. They want to enter a science competition but feel that their current work may not be enough and are seeking advice on how to continue their research and use their program. Suggestions such as modelling different cosmologies are mentioned.
cubsfan334
Hello,

First of all, I'm not sure whether this topic belongs here or in the academic guidance section -- I chose here because I think people reading this board would be more knowledgeable about the subject matter.

Anyway, I'm a current high school junior, and since the beginning of the school year I've been doing an internship at Fermilab, where I coded an nbody simulation and ran some simulations using it (ie halo formation, merging, etc). It's a basic program, but I think it's pretty good for a high-schooler and I worked hard on it. I'd like to enter a science competition in the fall such as Siemens or Intel, but I don't think that what I've done so far would suffice -- I think that I would need to have done more research.

Does anyone here have ideas on how to continue my research/use my program, besides simply creating and merging haloes?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've thought of modelling a few different cosmologies, but I'm not sure if that would be enough. Any advice would be much appreciated!Thank you

Related to High school research suggestions

1. What are some good topics for high school research?

There are many potential topics for high school research, and the best one will depend on your interests and the requirements of your assignment. Some popular areas of research for high school students include social issues, environmental science, technology, and health and medicine.

2. Where can I find reliable sources for my research project?

There are many sources of reliable information for high school research, including academic journals, books, and reputable websites. Your school or local library is a great place to start, as they often have access to databases and other resources that can help you find credible sources.

3. How do I choose a research question?

Choosing a research question can be a challenging task, but it's important to find a topic that interests you and has enough information available to support your research. Consider brainstorming ideas, talking to your teacher or classmates, and doing some preliminary research to help you decide on a question.

4. What is the best way to organize my research project?

The most effective way to organize a research project will depend on your specific topic and the requirements of your assignment. However, a good general approach is to start with an outline, which can help you structure your ideas and ensure your project is well-organized and easy to follow.

5. How can I make my high school research project stand out?

To make your research project stand out, consider choosing a unique and interesting topic, using a variety of reputable sources, and presenting your findings in a clear and engaging way. You can also consider incorporating visual aids, such as graphs or charts, to help illustrate your points and make your project more visually appealing.