High rise building fire in Caracas

In summary, there was a huge fire in a high-rise tower in Caracas, Venezuela a few weeks ago. The building is still standing and has not collapsed. High-rise fires are rare and can usually be stopped by a sprinkler system. There have been other high-rise fires in the last 20-30 years, but it is unknown how many have completely destroyed the building. It is possible that the building in Venezuela will require extensive repairs due to smoke and water damage, but it may be more cost-effective to keep the structure and rebuild the interior.
tumor
Few weeks ago there was that huge fire in a high rise tower in Caracas/Venezuela,does that building collapsed?

Physics news on Phys.org
tumor said:
Few weeks ago there was that huge fire in a high rise tower in Caracas/Venezuela,is that building still standing or fell over like WTC?
There were more high towers fires in last 20-30 years, how many of them managed to destroy the building completelly?

Doesn't look like anyone has a clue. Try Google?

It is very rare that a high-rise fire causes the building to collapse.

Along a similar vein, most high-rise fires can easily be stopped by a sprinkler system.

Last edited:
I have a friend that is from Venezuela. I will ask him tomorrow

Glenn told me that this building is the tallest of Venezuela, and that the fire only affected the superior levels of the building, from the 70 storey upwards. So far, the building hasn't collapsed yet...

Thanks v.much.
I wonder how much money going to cost them to fix all the water smoke damage.?I guess better for them to just blow up this building like they did WTC 1-2.

tumor said:
Thanks v.much.
I wonder how much money going to cost them to fix all the water smoke damage.?I guess better for them to just blow up this building like they did WTC 1-2.
There can be several problems with working on a fire damaged bulding, such as air systems contaminated by toxic fumes or airbourn asbestos. However, if it is still structurally sound, smoke and water damage are largely cosmetic (damaged drywall, carpet, ceilings, etc.) and it would probably be cheaper to keep the structure and gut and rebuild the interior and repair or replace various damaged systems.

Related to High rise building fire in Caracas

1. What caused the high rise building fire in Caracas?

The cause of the high rise building fire in Caracas is still under investigation. Some reports suggest that the fire started due to an electrical malfunction, while others speculate that it may have been caused by human error or negligence.

2. How long did it take to extinguish the fire?

The fire took several hours to be fully extinguished. Firefighters and emergency personnel worked tirelessly to contain and put out the fire, which was complicated by the height and location of the building.

3. Were there any casualties in the high rise building fire?

Unfortunately, yes. There were multiple casualties reported, including fatalities and injuries. The exact number is still being confirmed as rescue and recovery efforts continue.

4. Did the building have proper fire safety measures in place?

The building did have fire safety measures in place, such as fire alarms, sprinkler systems, and fire exits. However, it is unclear at this time if these measures were functioning properly during the fire.

5. Has a similar incident occurred in Caracas before?

There have been previous incidents of high rise building fires in Caracas. In 2004, there was a major fire in a high rise building that resulted in multiple casualties. However, each fire is unique and the causes and circumstances may differ.