High purity Germanium detector design related clarifications

In summary, Ashish is a mechanical engineering graduate from Arizona conducting a case study on design flaws in a high purity germanium detector. The detector is no longer being sold in the market and consists of a cylindrical germanium crystal clamped to a vertical copper rod. The crystal is mechanically supported by a stack of clear plates, but Ashish is looking to redesign the geometry of these plates due to excessive machining work and potential thermal cycling causing cracks in the material. He is seeking suggestions on how to improve the design and identify any other limitations.
Ashish GK
Hello everyone,

I am Ashish, a mechanical engineering graduate from Arizona. I am doing a case study on some of the design related flaws in a high purity germanium detector. The information and pictures that I am posting is of an old detector from one of the manufacturers and it is currently not being sold in the market.

There is a cylindrical germanium crystal that is clamped to a vertical copper rod. At the clamping end, the crystal is mechanical supported by a stack of clear plates that fit tightly into the bore of the detector's endcap. The set up is shown in the following figure:

upload_2017-8-25_18-55-55.png
upload_2017-8-25_18-56-24.png

(a) (b)

I am trying to redesign the geometry of the stack of plates. This is because in the existing design, a lot of machining work has to be done and there are sharp edges. The crystal must be kept as cold as possible. Hence, the entire setup is connected to a 30 L liquid nitrogen dewar while running. The material is Plexiglas and sometime results in the formation of minor cracks, which I feel could be due to thermal cycling.

I would like to get your suggestions on redesigning the geometry of the plates that mechanically support the crystal. I am also trying to understand other flaws with this existing design (other than the material cracking). Hence, it would also be helpful if you can provide your suggestions on any other limitation in this design.

Thanks,
Ashish

Engineering news on Phys.org
Of what is it a detector? Just for interest.

Related to High purity Germanium detector design related clarifications

1. What factors should be considered when designing a high purity Germanium detector?

When designing a high purity Germanium detector, some important factors to consider include the detector's size and shape, the material used for the detector's housing, the type and thickness of the detector window, the type of cooling system, and the electronics used for signal processing.

2. How does the detector window affect the performance of a high purity Germanium detector?

The detector window plays a critical role in determining the energy resolution and efficiency of a high purity Germanium detector. A thinner window allows for better energy resolution, but may also decrease the detector's efficiency. A thicker window can improve efficiency, but may decrease energy resolution.

3. What is the best type of cooling system for a high purity Germanium detector?

The most commonly used cooling system for high purity Germanium detectors is liquid nitrogen, which provides stable and low temperatures. However, alternative cooling systems such as thermoelectric coolers or cryocoolers can also be used, depending on the specific requirements of the experiment.

4. How should the electronics be chosen for a high purity Germanium detector?

The choice of electronics for a high purity Germanium detector largely depends on the specific needs of the experiment. Factors to consider include the type of signal processing required, the data acquisition system, and the desired data output format.

5. Can multiple high purity Germanium detectors be used together in an experiment?

Yes, multiple high purity Germanium detectors can be used together in an experiment to improve sensitivity and accuracy. This is often done in experiments that require high resolution and efficiency, such as gamma spectroscopy. However, careful consideration must be given to the positioning and shielding of the detectors to avoid interference and background noise.