High purity germanium detector

In summary, the conversation discusses the detection efficiency at specific gamma-ray energy (εγ) for high purity germanium detectors. This refers to the percentage of photons at that specific energy that are detected, which may be affected by the ability of gamma ray photons to penetrate shielding. There may be ways or formulas to calculate the efficiency, but the specific methods are unknown. The conversation ends with friendly farewells.
nurul anuar
hi there!

I am nurul ain,new member here.

I have a question regarding gamma ray detector, the high purity germanium detector or aka HPGe. What is meant by the detection efficiency at specific gamma-ray energy (εγ)? and whether the emission probability of the corresponding gamma-ray energy and the intensities are actually the same thing?

Thank you! Have a nice day!:kiss:

Physics news on Phys.org
nurul anuar said:
What is meant by the detection efficiency at specific gamma-ray energy (εγ)?

I'd guess that it refers to the percentage of photons at that specific energy that get detected. Since gamma ray photons can penetrate a lot of shielding, I imagine a large portion of them pass through the detectors without being absorbed and detected.

I see. You made it clearer now. Thank youu. And is there any ways/formulas/equations that can be used to find the efficiency? Or is it a constant?

nurul anuar said:
I see. You made it clearer now. Thank youu. And is there any ways/formulas/equations that can be used to find the efficiency? Or is it a constant?

Oh I'm sure there are. I just have no idea what those might be. :wink:

Drakkith said:
Oh I'm sure there are. I just have no idea what those might be. :wink:
Hehe. Guess i have to keep looking then. . Thank youu. Have a nice day!☺️

Related to High purity germanium detector

1. What is a high purity germanium detector?

A high purity germanium detector is a type of radiation detector that uses a single crystal of germanium with high purity to detect and measure gamma rays and X-rays. It is commonly used in scientific research, nuclear medicine, and environmental monitoring.

2. How does a high purity germanium detector work?

The detector works by converting the energy of incoming radiation into an electrical signal. When a gamma ray or X-ray enters the germanium crystal, it interacts with the atoms and produces an electron-hole pair. This creates an electrical signal which is amplified and measured by the detector.

3. What are the advantages of using a high purity germanium detector?

High purity germanium detectors have a high resolution, meaning they can distinguish between different types of radiation with great accuracy. They also have a low background noise, making them ideal for detecting low levels of radiation. Additionally, they have a wide energy range and can be used for both qualitative and quantitative analysis.

4. How is a high purity germanium detector different from other types of radiation detectors?

Compared to other detectors such as scintillation counters or ionization chambers, high purity germanium detectors have a much higher resolution and energy range. They also have a longer lifespan and are less affected by temperature changes. However, they are more expensive and require careful handling and maintenance.

5. What are the common applications of high purity germanium detectors?

High purity germanium detectors are commonly used in nuclear physics research, environmental monitoring of radioactive materials, and in medical imaging for diagnosing and treating diseases. They are also used in homeland security for detecting radioactive materials and in industrial processes for quality control and material analysis.